Friday, June 14, 2013

Book #41: Goddess

Title: Goddess (Third book in Starcrossed trilogy)

Author: Josephine Angelini

Date started reading: June 14, 2013
Date finished reading: June 17, 2013

Publish date: May 2013
ISBN: 978-0062012036
Number of pages: 432

Official summary: " After accidentally unleashing the gods from their captivity on Olympus, Helen must find a way to re-imprison them without starting a devastating war. But the gods are angry, and their thirst for blood already has a body count. To make matters worse, the Oracle reveals that a diabolical Tyrant is lurking among them, which drives a wedge between the once-solid group of friends. As the gods use the Scions against one another, Lucas's life hangs in the balance. Still unsure whether she loves him or Orion, Helen is forced to make a terrifying decision, for war is coming to her shores." (http://www.josephineangelini.com)

Book trailer:

 

How I obtained the book: Paid $14.67 using a Barnes & Noble gift card that I got basically for free through Plink.com.

My commentary: --

Memorable quotes:
  • In order to save (Lucas), she’d made him stop loving her. Tears spilled down Helen’s face.” 
  • The queen may be the most versatile piece on the chessboard, but if she gets taken out the game doesn’t end. It’s only over when the king gets cornered and someone calls checkmate. Belatedly, Helen realized that she was the king in this game, not the queen.” 
  • "It's like I woke up the other day with this whole new bunch of magic tricks to deal with, but no instructions for getting the blasted rabbit back in the hat." ~ Helen
  • "An honest buck may not buy any more groceries than a dishonest one, but it'll always be worth more." ~ Helen
  • "I'm so glad testosterone isn't contagious." ~ Helen
  • "Just when (Helen) thought she was getting accustomed to how blindingly beautiful (Orion) was, she'd see a new expression on his face, and a huge part of her nervous system would seize up."
  • "I can't think of anyone in the world who deserves to be loved -- loved more -- more than you." ~ Helen to Orion
  • "(Helen) had power over the most magnificent forces on Earth, but she still didn't feel like she had power over the most important thing of all -- her own heart." 
  • "It doesn't matter that the Furies are gone -- you all still act like a pack of wild dogs. Everybody's got to sniff everybody else's butt." ~ Noel
  • "You may be all-powerful, but nothing beats plain old logic." ~ Lucas to Helen
  • "I had to ask myself, what would make me do anything? Love, obviously." ~ Daphne
  • "It's like the gods are getting off on watching people who love each other fight to the death." ~ Ariadne
  • "It's like I have a built-in heckler in my head. I can't even make out with another guy without hearing this stupid voice, telling me I'm an idiot and I'm screwing everything up. You're the only one I'll ever love. The only one I'm capable of loving completely. You're it for me." ~ Helen to Lucas
  • "I don't want to be immortal. I'm terrified of forever." ~ Helen
  • "How powerful you are. The clouds twist with color at your command, but they still pale in comparison to your beauty. They'd cry with jealousy if you'd only let it rain." ~ Zeus to Helen
  • "I figure spending eternity trapped in any one place, even paradise, is the same as hell after long enough. In a thousand years, I bet even a field of wildflowers begins to feel like a festering bog." ~ Helen
  • "Forever is a long time, Helen." ~ Poseidon

Buy on Amazon.com: Goddess (Starcrossed)

No comments:

Post a Comment