Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Book #27: Unravel Me

Title: Unravel Me (Second in Shatter Me series)

Author: Tahereh Mafi

Date started reading: March 26, 2013
Date finished reading:  March 28, 2013

Publish date: February 2013
ISBN: 9780062085535
Number of pages: 461

Official summary:
"tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
it's almost time for war.
Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her — people with gifts — and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance. She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch. Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible." (http://www.taherehbooks.com)

How I obtained the book: Checked out of library

My commentary: --

Memorable quotes:
  • "I do not function properly." ~ Juliette
  • "I am a spectacle, an anomaly even among the anomalies." ~ Juliette
  • "Good intentions are great, but they don't change the facts. You are dangerous. Shit, you're scary dangerous." ~ Kenji to Juliette
  • "I hear myself go on and on and on and I can't get myself to stop. It's like a button in my brain is broken, like I've developed a disease that forces me to apologize for everything, for existing, for wanting more than what I've been given, and I can't stop. It's what I do. I'm always apologizing. Forever apologizing. For who I am and what I never meant to be and for this body I was born into, this DNA I never asked for." ~ Juliette
  • "I want to be the friend you fall hopelessly in love with. The one you take into your arms and into your bed and into the private world you keep trapped in your head. I want to be that kind of friend. The one who will memorize the things you say as well as the shape of your lips when you say them. I want to know every curve, every freckle, every shiver of your body.  I want to know where to touch you, I want to know how to touch you. I want to know convince you to design a smile just for me. Yes, I do want to be your friend. I want to be your best friend in the entire world." ~ Warner to Juliette
  • "I'm beginning to think of hope as a dangerous, terrifying thing." ~ Juliette
  • "Hope can make people do terrible things." ~ Juliette
  • "Sticks and stones keep breaking my bones but these words, these words will kill me."
  • "Books are easily destroyed. But words will live as long as people can remember them. Tattoos, for example, are very hard to forget. I think there's something about the impermanence of life these days that makes it necessary to etch ink into our skin. It reminds us that we've been marked by the world, that we're still alive. That we'll never forget." ~ Warner
  • "Time goes on even when we do not." ~ Juliette
  • "You're not the only person in this world who doesn't want to get out of bed in the morning. You're not the only one with daddy issues and severely screwed-up DNA." ~ Kenji to Juliette
  • "Hope. It's like a drop of honey, a field of tulips blooming in the springtime. It's a fresh rain, a whispered promise, a cloudless sky, the perfect punctuation mark at the end of a sentence. And it's the only thing in the world keeping me afloat."  ~ Juliette
  • "I am nothing more than the consequence of catastrophe." ~ Juliette
  • "It takes a lot more than blood to be family. And I want nothing to do with him. I'd like to be able to watch him die and feel no sympathy,no remorse. He's the textbook definition of a monster." ~ Adam about Warner
  • "I can love him, but I can't depend on him to be my backbone. I can't be my own person if I constantly require someone else to hold me together." ~ Juliette about Adam
  • "My mind is a mess. Every single day I'm confused, uncertain, worried I'm going to make a new mistake, worried I'm going to lose control, worried I'm going to lose myself." ~ Juliette
  • "My loyalties do not lie with The Reestablishment. My loyalties lie with those who know how to live. I only have two options in this game, love. Kill. Or be killed." ~ Warner
  • "The world, I think, has a terrible, terrible sense of humor. It always seems to be laughing at me. At my expense. Making my life infinitely more complicated all the time. Ruining all my best-laid plans by making every choice so difficult. Making everything so confusing." ~ Juliette
  • "It's so hard to be kind to the world when all you've ever felt is hate. ... It's so hard to see goodness in the world when all you've ever known is terror." ~ Juliette
  • "Loneliness is a strange sort of thing. It creeps on you, quiet and still, sits by your side in the dark, strokes by your hair as you sleep. It wraps itself around your bones, squeezing so tight you almost can't breathe. It leaves lies in your heart, lies next to you at night, leaches the light out of every corner. It's a constant companion, clasping your hand only to yank you down when you're struggling to stand up." ~ Juliette
  • "Loneliness is an old friend stand beside you in the mirror, looking you in the eye, challenging you to live your life without it. You can't find the words to fight yourself, to fight the words screaming that you're not enough never enough never ever enough. Loneliness is a bitter, wretched companion.  Sometimes it just won't let go." ~ Juliette
  • "I want to trust but it scares the skin off my bones." ~ Juliette
  • "I'm falling apart and into his heart and I'm a disaster." ~ Juliette
  • "I'm wondering how many more mistakes I'll have to make before things finally fall into place. If they ever will."
  • "The truth is a painful reminder of why I prefer to live among the lies." 
  • "I have officially, absolutely collapsed inside." 
  • "My heart is pounding so hard I'm surprised it's not bleeding." ~ Juliette
  • "It's strange. How hollow I feel. Like there might be echoes inside me. Like I'm one of those chocolate rabbits they used to sell around Easter, the ones that were nothing more than a sweet shell encapsulating a world of nothing. I'm like that. I encapsulate a world of nothing." ~ Juliette
  • "I have to keep remembering that Warner and I are 2 different words. We are synonyms but not the same." ~ Juliette
  • "Sometimes I wonder about the glue. No one ever stops to ask glue how it's holding up. If it's tired of sticking things together or worried about falling apart or wondering how it will pay its bills next week. Kenji is kind of like that. He's like glue." ~ Juliette
  • "You hate being in your own skin. You can't stand it. That's not called acceptance. That's called -- I don't know -- the opposite of acceptance. You are the opposite of acceptance." ~ Kenji to Juliette
  • "You have severe mental constipation." ~ Kenji to Juliette
  • "So you're exactly like a Venus flytrap. You reel 'em in. Clamp 'em down. Eat 'em up. ... You're like a sexy, super-scary plant." ~ Kenji to Juliette
  • "Shit hitting the fan doesn't work around your schedule, princess." ~ Kenji to Juliette
  • "Warner as a human being terrifies me more than anything else." ~ Juliette
  • "You know, I could tell, the very first day I met you. There was something about you that felt different to me. Something in your eyes that was so tender. Raw. Like you hadn't yet learned how to hide your heart from the world." ~ Warner to Juliette
  • "Every day I learn something new about myself and every day it terrifies me." ~ Juliette
  • "I don't know how to hate you anymore. Even though I want to." ~ Juliette to Warner
  • "A handful of letters doesn't always make a word." ~ Warner
  • "My life has been nothing but battle and destruction." ~ Warner
  • "All of my steps are wrong, always wrong. I am the incarnation of error." ~ Juliette
  • "The truth is a painful reminder of why I prefer to live among the lies."  ~ Warner
  • "I will have died having accomplished nothing. I am still no one. I am nothing more than a silly little girl bleeding to death on a psychotic man's floor. And I think if I could do it over again, I'd do it so differently. I'd be better. I'd make something of myself. I'd make a difference in this sorry, sorry world."  ~ Juliette
  • "Impossible is such a stupid word."  ~ Juliette
  • "I am living, breathing proof that nature is officially screwed, afraid of what it's done, what it's become. And I'm stronger. I'm angrier."  ~ Juliette
  • "Mass chaos is in my future."  ~ Juliette

Buy on Amazon.com: Unravel Me (Shatter Me)

No comments:

Post a Comment