Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Book #22: Defiance

Title: Defiance

Author: C.J. Redwine

Date started reading: March 5, 2013
Date finished reading: March 7, 2013

Publish date: August 2012
ISBN: 978-0062117182
Number of pages: 416

Official summary: "Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city’s brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses, host dinner parties, and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father’s apprentice, Logan — the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same boy who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but fierce belief in her father’s survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her. At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city’s top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor’s impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared. As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can’t be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making. (http://cjredwine.blogspot.com)

Official book trailer:


How I obtained the book: Checked out of library

My commentary:
  • I normally don't go for the dystopian-type of books, but this one was not as bad as most. It was a  little odd to think that society would've been forced into forming cities behind walls that block out huge fire-breathing creatures, but I guess that's not as far as a stretch as some other dystopian worlds I've read about. 
  • Logan and Rachel are a great match. They challenge each other in many ways and compliment each other in many other ways. It's sad that ultimately they are all each other has now, but that can only make their bond stronger. 
  • The book isn't going on my long list of favorite books, but it was good enough that I'm glad I picked it up. It was a nice little break from all the vampire/witch/angel/god books.

Memorable quotes:
  • “It’s probably my job to tell you life isn’t fair, but I figure you already know that. So instead, I’ll tell you that hope is precious, and you’re right not to give up.”  ~ Logan to Rachel
  • “I love how you still think if you tell me to do something, I'll just check my brain at the door and do it.”  ~ Rachel to Logan
  • “Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement.”  
  • “I never thought it was fair that anatomy decided what my brain was fit for.”  ~ Rachel
  • “No matter what has happened. No matter what you've done. No matter what you will do. I will always love you. I swear it.”  ~ Logan to Rachel
  • "I'm a lot of things -- Protector, orphan, inventor, outcast -- but I'm not stupid." ~ Logan
  • "You're in desperate need of someone to teach you your proper place." ~ Commander to Rachel
  • "Whats the use in being diplomatic? I'd rather just pull my weapon and wing it." ~ Rachel
  • "Do you really have to go into every situation with nothing but your wits and your knife?" ~ Logan to Rachel
  • "Nobody appreciates a woman with vinegar in her soul." ~ Melkin to Rachel
  •  "Loss is a gaping hole with jagged teeth, and I can't bear it." ~ Rachel
  • "Fury is a welcome companion, warming me with something that almost feels like comfort." ~ Rachel
  • "Love is a piercing ache that refuses to slide into the silence." ~ Rachel
  • "He looks at you like he'd like to dip you in sugar and eat you up." ~ Willow to Rachel about Logan

Buy on Amazon.com: Defiance

No comments:

Post a Comment