Sunday, June 1, 2014

Book #16: The Fault In Our Stars

Title: The Fault In Our Stars

Author: John Green

Date started reading: June 1, 2014
Date finished reading: ------

Publish date: January 2012
ASIN: B005ZOBNOI
Number of pages: 337

Official summary: "Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten." (http://johngreenbooks.com)

Official movie trailer:



How I obtained the book: Checked an eBook version of the book out of the library. I kept trying to find a cheap print version of the book, but I couldn't find a cheap one, and I really want to read it before seeing the movie later this week)

My commentary:
  • I'm shocked that this is the first book I've read by John Green. I've been meaning to read his books for quite a while. I got acquainted with his books through tumblr, and I love watching his YouTube videos, but I've been putting off reading his books because I know they're heartbreaking. 

Memorable quotes:
  • “I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” 
  • “My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.” 
  • “You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world ... but you do have some say in who hurts you.” 
  • “Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.” 
  • “The marks humans leave are too often scars.”  
  • “It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.” ~ Augustus to Hazel
  • “The world is not a wish-granting factory.” 
  • “You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.”  
  • “I’m on a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend.” ~ Augustus
  • “Sometimes people don't understand the promises they're making when they make them.” 
  • “Pain is like fabric: The stronger it is, the more it’s worth.”  
  • “You realize that trying to keep your distance from me will not lessen my affection for you.” ~ Augustus to Hazel

Buy on Amazon.com: The Fault in Our Stars



Reading Bingo: On the Reading Bingo Challenge I am going to mark this book off as "a book that became a movie" on the young adult card. That's probably the most obvious choice. It could probably also fit the "book that made you cry" square, but I knew the ending to the book before reading it, so I'm not sure how much it will actually make me cry.


No comments:

Post a Comment