Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Book #15: Dangerous Creatures

Title: Dangerous Creatures

Author: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Date started reading: May 27, 2014
Date finished reading: June 1, 2014

Publish date: May 2014
ISBN: 978-0316370318
Number of pages: 384

Official summary: "Ridley Duchannes is nobody's heroine. She's a Dark Caster, a Siren. She can make you do things. Anything. You can't trust her, or yourself when she's around. And she'll be the first to tell you to stay away -- especially if you're going to do something as stupid as fall in love with her. Lucky for Ridley, her wannabe rocker boyfriend, Wesley "Link" Lincoln, never listens to anyone. Link doesn't care if Rid's no good for him, and he takes her along when he leaves small-town Gatlin to follow his rock-star dream. He teams up with a ragtag group of Dark Casters, and when the band scores a gig at a hot Underground club, it looks like all of Link's dreams are about to come true. But New York City is a dangerous place for both Casters and Mortals, and soon Ridley realizes that Link's bandmates are keeping secrets. With bad-boy club owner Lennox Gates on her heels, Rid is determined to find out the truth. What she discovers is worse than she could have imagined: Link has a price on his head that no Caster or Mortal can ever pay. With their lives on the line, what's a Siren to do?" (http://www.dangerouscreaturesnovels.com/)

Official book trailer:



How I obtained the book: Checked out of library

My commentary:
  • I really had forgotten how much I loved Ridley in the original series. Having Ridley and Link be the focus of this new series was the right choice for sure. Both of those characters have way more depth than Lena and Ethan.
  • In the original series, I was often annoyed at having to deal with it being written in Ethan's accent. This series doesn't have that strong accent, so it made it much more enjoyable to me.

Memorable quotes:
  • “What can I say? Payback’s a bitch. But here’s the thing: So am I.” ~ Ridley
  • "Let's get something straight: I'm supposed to be the bad guy. I will always disappoint you. Your parents will hate me. You should not root for me. I am not your role model. I don't know why everyone seems to forget that. I never do."  ~ Ridley
  • "Being good Ridley was so dull that sometimes she was tempted to make new friends just so she could lose them later." 
  • "As far as I'm concerned, I'm the CEO a your business, Wesley Lincoln." ~ Link's mom
  • "Our love is rare, medium rare."  ~ Link to Ridley
  • "When it came to relationships, the truth never set anyone free. The truth only sets things on fire." 
  • "Love is an open door." ~ Ridley
  • "Love, Nox, is awful. It's painful and humiliating and it involves songs -- horrible, sappy songs -- about hearts breaking and tears falling and following people into dark places. ... It's like a disease, Nox. A Mortal disease. A complete loss of spine. The emotional equivalent of projectile vomiting. And way too much acoustic guitar." ~ Ridley
  • "When you're in love, you're not in control of what you think or say or do. And there is nothing I love more than control, and nothing I love less than not having it." ~ Ridley

Buy on Amazon.com: Dangerous Creatures


Reading Bingo: On the Reading Bingo Challenge I am going to mark this book off as "a book with music" on the young adult card. Link's in a band, so I think that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment