Friday, June 15, 2012

Book #84: Rapture

Title: Rapture (The fourth & final book in the "Fallen" series)

Author: Lauren Kate

Date started reading: June 16, 2012
Date finished reading: June 18, 2012

Publish date: June 2012
ISBN: 9780385739184
Number of pages: 464

Official summary: "The sky is dark with wings. ... Like sand through an hourglass, time is running out for Luce and Daniel. To stop Lucifer from erasing the past, they must find the place where the angels fell to earth. Dark forces are after them, and Daniel doesn’t know if he can do this — live only to lose Luce again and again. Yet together they face an epic battle that will end with lifeless bodies ... and angel dust. Great sacrifices are made. Hearts are destroyed. And suddenly Luce knows what must happen. For she was meant to be with someone other than Daniel. The curse they’ve borne has always and only been about her — and the love she cast aside. The choice she makes now is the only one that truly matters. In the fight for Luce, who will win?" (http://www.randomhouse.com)

Official book trailers:



How I obtained the book: Pre-ordered for $12.94 through Barnes & Noble

My majorly spoiler-filled commentary:
  • I'm really sad to see this book series end. Four books (plus one supplemental book) just wasn't enough for me. I want another book or two. Regardless, IF it had to end, "Rapture" was the perfect close.
  • I totally figured out the truth about Luce being an angel about 1/3 of the way through the first book. In the last third of "Rapture," she finally remembers that she's an angel, and it was supposed to be the biggest revelation of the entire series, but yeah I already figured that's where it was going. Still I think it was amazing. Lauren Kate made Luce's quest to figure out her angel past absolutely beautiful and breath-taking.  
  • I also figured out early on in the series that Lucifer had to have been in love with Luce in Heaven before the fall. I initially thought that was the case just because their names were similar, but then I realized that Lucifer most likely wanted to curse Daniel and Luce out of jealousy because Lucifer loved Luce but she loved Daniel instead.
  • I did not expect God to be a female. I have no problem with that, but I hadn't really thought that it was going that way.
  • The fact that Luce and Daniel were reborn as mortals on earth with no knowledge of their angel pasts at the end also came as a surprise. I wasn't sure what I thought would happen once they stopped the rapture and broke their curse, but that wasn't it. Of course, they found each other even as humans and instantly fell in love, which left things with a happy ending, but it was so bittersweet since they would never be able to meet their former angel friends again or remember who they had been.

Memorable quotes:
  • "Without (Lucinda), nothing mattered. Without her love, nothing was possible." ~ Daniel
  • "Every life, every love, every moment that every mortal and angelic soul had ever experienced would be balled up and discarded at Lucifer's reckless whim, like the universe was a board game and he was a whining child giving up when he began to lose." 
  • "You're the chess piece that the forces of good and evil and everything in between are fighting over here." ~ Cam to Luce
  • "Your weakness for her is stronger than your word." ~ Cam to Daniel
  • "This is going to be a very long nine days." ~ Gabbe
  • "All I ever wanted was to love you." ~ Daniel to Luce
  • "(Luce's) past lives began to swirl together and hiccup like the panels of a kaleidoscope." 
  • "Luce knew that she and Daniel would risk everything for their love." 
  • "There is no darkness as dark as a great light corrupted." ~ Daniel
  • "Cam's darkness is legendary, but it is only a sliver of his personality." ~ Daniel
  • "If I ever truly lost you, I don't know what I would do. My whole world would dim." ~ Daniel to Luce
  • "I never thought I'd say this, but I miss them. The Announcers were my link to my past." ~ Luce
  • "It's an insult to be asked to choose, an insult for your creator to demand that you reduce the vastness of your love to the tiny, petty confines of a gesture during a Roll Call." ~ Daniel
  • "Justice always makes a difference." ~ Zaban
  • "I'm tired of being punished simply because I love you, Daniel. ... I'm not a pawn; I'm a person. And I've had enough." ~ Luce
  • "You said a curse is only a curse if I allowed myself to be cursed by it." ~ Luce to Dee
  • "Angels can die, Lucinda." ~ Daniel
  • "Your heart turned black, Sophia. It was like a light went off. No one could turn the light back on." ~ Dee
  • "I do so love to see an angel die." ~ Sophia
  • "I never asked for a happy ending." ~ Cam
  • "Grief can choke you." ~ Daniel
  • "I'd like to say I'm on a natural high." ~ Cam
    "This hike would have ruined John Denver." ~ Roland
  • "Heartbreak is its own form of amnesia." ~ Dee
  • "It is impossible to apologize to a girl with such a conveniently selective memory." ~ Cam to Luce
  • "I've seen enough death." ~ Luce
  • "Had God created love to make pain feel even worse?" ~ Luce
  • "Was she asleep? The sky did seem to be raining nightmares." ~ Luce
  • "Our love transcends everything." ~ Daniel to Luce
  • "Our love is endless. There can be nothing else." ~ Lucifer to Luce
  • "Love is taking the adoration you feel for God and giving it to somebody actually here." ~ Lucifer
  • "You taught me how to love, but I cannot love a soul so dark it eats up others' light." ~ Luce to Lucifer
  • "Fear is the only way to greet the devil." ~ Lucifer
  • "Those of us who understand eternity know what true love means. Love never dies." ~ Lucifer
  • "You appreciate  eternity, but you don't appreciate how in a moment eternity can change." ~ Luce to Lucifer
  • "Are you prepared to pay the ultimate sacrifice for your love?" ~ God
    "If I have Lucinda, and Lucinda has me, there is no such thing as sacrifice." ~ Daniel
  • "Mortality is the most romantic story ever told. Just one chance to do everything you should. Then, magically, you move on." ~ Cam
  • "What happens in pajamas stays in pajamas." ~ Luce

Buy on Amazon.com: Rapture (Fallen)

1 comment:

  1. Can you answer something? What happened to Cam... during the series I had the impression that at sometime something happened between he and luce. But still nothing is said about it... I jys can't understand. Just tell me what you think about his story

    ReplyDelete