Thursday, June 21, 2012

Book #87: Wake

Title: Wake

Author: Lisa McMann

Date started reading: June 22, 2012
Date finished reading:  June 23, 2012

Publish date: December 2008
ISBN: 978-1416974475
Number of pages: 224

Official summary: "For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime. She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control. Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant...." (http://lisamcmann.com)

Official series trailer:



How I obtained the book: Got through PaperBackSwap.com. (It's a free online book club, but I had to pay to mail a book to another member in order to get a credit to request this book)

My commentary:  I'm struggling to find the words I want to use to explain this book. The best I can come up with is "odd but good." It has a unique feel. The story is interesting... a girl who gets sucked into other people's dreams. It's written in an almost stream of consciousness style, which gives it some uniqueness. It's not really separated into true chapters. There are sections, but no chapter numbers. Each section is divided into days/times. The way the book is set up makes the story go pretty fast-paced which kept me on my toes. I am glad I decided to give this series a chance.

Memorable quotes:
  • "Nobody ever sleeps in the bathroom." ~ Janie
  • "I get sucked into people's dreams. I can't help it. I can't stop it. It's driving me crazy." ~ Janie
  • "Dreams are not memories, Janie. They're hopes and fears. Indications of other life stresses. I thought you of all people would know the difference." ~ Cabel
  • "Time to stop crying, time to get her act together and do something. Time to move beyond the pity party. Before she loses her mind. Because there's no way on earth she's going to make it through college unless she grows some series ovaries and turns this train wreck around." ~ Janie

Buy on Amazon.com: Wake (Wake Series, Book 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment