Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Book #109: Succubus on Top

Title: Succubus on Top (book #2 of the Georgina Kincaid Series)

Author: Richelle Mead

Date started reading: Aug. 30, 2012
Date finished reading:  Sept. 3, 2012

Publish date: July 2011
ISBN: 978-0821780787
Number of pages: 320

Official summary: "Love hurts, and no one knows it better than Georgina Kincaid. If she so much as kisses her new boyfriend, she’ll drain his life force. Georgina is a succubus — a demon who draws her power from other men’s pleasure. Admittedly, the shapeshifting and immortality perks are terrific, and yes, Georgina did choose to join the ranks of hell centuries ago. But it seems completely unfair that a she-demon whose purpose is seduction can’t get hot and heavy with the one mortal who knows and accepts her for who she is. It’s not just her personal life that’s in chaos. Doug, Georgina’s co-worker at a local bookstore, has been exhibiting bizarre behavior, and Georgina suspects that something far more demonic than double espressos is at work. She could use help finding out, but Bastien, an irresistibly charming incubus and her best immortal friend, is preoccupied in the suburbs with corrupting an ultra-conservative talk radio star — and giving Georgina some highly distracting come-hither vibes. Georgina is going to have to work solo on this one—and fast because soon, Doug’s life won’t be the only one on the line…" (http://www.richellemead.com)

How I obtained the book: Got through Listia.com (It's like eBay without the money being exchanged)

My commentary:
  • I loved one scene in the book a lot... Georgina and Bastien are in a bar, listening to music. Bastien requests Fiona Apple's song "Criminal" and says it describes Georgina's relationship with Seth. For some reason I found it funny because it is a good explanation of how a succubus operates: "I've been a bad bad girl. I've been careless with a delicate man. And it's a sad sad world when a girl will break a boy just because she can. ... Heaven help me for the way I am. Save me from these evil deeds before I get them done."
  • The sex scenes in this one were a little more cheesy than the first book, which disappointed me. I don't understand why authors have to resort to cheesy romance novel words for love scenes. 
  • Overall, I didn't like the character of Bastien. It doesn't surprise me. Even though reading about a succubus character is sometimes interesting to me, the male counterpart -- the incubus -- is not interesting to me. I don't get why I like the female seductress, but not the male seducer. It seems sexiest or something to me, but that's the way it is. 

Memorable quotes:
  • "Myths may paint us as ethereal, demonic creatures of pleasure, but honestly being a succubus just comes down to a convincing poker face and a good sales pitch." ~ Georgina
  • "Your pimp routine is getting old." ~ Georgina to Jerome
  •  "Being with you is a continual experiment in perspective. Among other things." ~ Seth to Georgina
  • "I hate hypocrites, good or evil. Doesn't matter what they're touting." ~ Georgina
  • "Honestly, half the reason I like you is because you're so ... I don't know. You like life. You're fearless. Bold. Not afraid to enjoy yourself. You just go out there and do what you want. I like the whirlwind you exist in. I envy it. It's funny, really. I used to think I wanted someone exactly like me, but now I think I'd be bored to death with another version of myself." ~ Seth to Georgina
  • "One thing that never changed among humans: there were always those who wanted to get something for nothing. It was what kept hell in business." ~ Georgina
  • "It's hard to rape a succubus. In the ultimate climax, the succubus is the conqueror -- especially if the girl ends up blacking out." ~ Georgina
  • "Don't judge the past by the standards of today. It won't work. They're incompatible." ~ Georgina
  • "You're one of the most depressed people I know. Even when you're smiling and flirting and all of that. I know you hate this life. This world." ~ Doug to Georgina
  • "There's good in the bad. There's always hope." ~ Georgina
  • "The clouds of failure are gathering." ~ Bastien
  • "You're the ultimate look-don't-touch girl." ~ Bastien to Georgina

Buy on Amazon.com: Succubus On Top (Georgina Kincaid)

No comments:

Post a Comment