Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Book #121: Eternal: More Love Stories with Bite

Title: Eternal: More Love Stories with Bite

Author: Edited by P.C. Cast. Stories by Heather Brewer, Rachel Caine, Claudia Gray, Nancy Holder, Jeri Smith-Ready, Lili St. Crow

Date started reading: Oct. 16, 2012
Date finished reading:  Oct. 20, 2012

Publish date: November 2010
ISBN: 978-1935618010
Number of pages: 256

Summary: "Eternal: More Love Stories With Bite presents all-new YA stories featuring vampires, the romantic heroes and heroines that still hold the reading public enraptured. A mix of writers makes for a fresh new collection with dark romance, and a book that's sure to thrill vampire romance fans old and new."

How I obtained the book: Bought for 50 cents at friends of the library charity book sale

My commentary:  Reading this reminded me of why I hate short stories overall. Unless the writer is fantastic, I just don't think you can form a strong emotional connection to a character when you're just reading a short story. The story I liked best in the book was Rachel Caine's, but of course, that was mainly because I read her Morganville Vampires book series and I had already developed the connection to the characters she focuses on. 

Memorable quotes:
  • "Saying there are too many vampire novels is like saying there are too many cars." ~ P.C. Cast in the introduction
  • "Being a vampire meant constantly negotiating between past, present, and future." ~ Patrice (in Claudia Gray's story)
  • "Life begins after death -- the preachers didn't lie about that. But heaven can't be as sweet as drinking that Nazi's blood." ~ Charlie (in Claudia Gray's story)
  • "That was the nature of love. Utter madness" ~ Romeo (in Nancy Holder's story)
  • "My name is Eve, and I'm a drama queen. I don't mean like any old garden-variety teen throwing a tantrum, oh no. I am a Drama Queen, with big initial capital letters and curlicues on top. I work hard at it, and I resent anybody lumping me in with a bunch of wannabe poseurs who haven't even qualified in Beginning Pouting, much less Champion Fit Throwing." ~ Rachel Caine's story
  • "Don't check my teeth like I'm your livestock. I bite back." ~ Eve (in Rachel Caine's story)
  • "I heard the girl who catches the bouquet at a vampire wedding has to be dessert." ~ Liam (in Jeri Smith-Ready's story)
  • "Vampire weddings are pretty much like human weddings, except there's no priest, no talk of kids, and instead of kissing each other, they bite." ~ Cassie (in Jeri Smith-Ready's story)

Buy on Amazon.com: Eternal: More Love Stories with Bite


No comments:

Post a Comment