Thursday, February 28, 2013

Book # 21: Dreamless

Title: Dreamless (Book #2 in the Starcrossed series)

Author: Josephine Angelini

Date started reading: March 1, 2013
Date finished reading:  March 5, 2013

Publish date: May 2012
ISBN: 978-0062012012
Number of pages: 496

Official summary: "Can true love be forgotten? As the only scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on. Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out — a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies' cry for blood is growing louder. As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen's sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos. " (http://www.josephineangelini.com)


Official book trailer:


How I obtained the book: Checked out of library

My commentary:
  • I love how in the end of the book, Helen ends up with a blue/white scar running down the iris in her right eye shaped like a lightning bolt. After I read that, I looked back at the beginning of the book. I think it's awesome that the first word in the book's prologue begins with an O that has a little lightning bolt symbol through it. It's a little foreshadowing of the future scar. Cool typography makes me really happy sometimes.

  • I love Orion's character. Not only is he supposed to be absolutely gorgeous, but he's strong and funny, and I just wanted to lick the page every time he showed up. But, of course, this was a library book, and I don't know whose dirty hands have been all over it, so I couldn't actually lick the book. It's a real shame...
  • I can't wait for the final book in this trilogy. I'm beyond amazed by how this series ended up being. So glad I decided to try it out.

Memorable quotes:
  • "Try to remember that dreams do come true, but they don't come easily.”  ~ Morpheus
  • “It's not our talents that make us safe or dangerous, it's our choices.” ~ Helen
  • "Just once I want to come up with a plan and have it work. Is that too much to ask?" ~ Helen
  • “Helen decided that the saying about 'time healing all wounds' was a bunch of bull and probably only worked for people with very poor memories. The time she's spent apart from Lucas hadn't healed anything. The distance only made her miss him more.” 
  • “Even if it kills me, staying awake and seeing you ... is better than any dream.”  
  • "Hell didn't need lakes of fire to torment. Time and solitude were enough." ~ Helen
  • "Do you always wander around hell in your pajamas?" ~ Orion to Helen
  • "Daphne said you were powerful, but she never mentioned you were such a wiseass." ~ Orion to Helen
  • "I may not be able to lift a car over my head, but that doesn't mean I'm useless." ~ Matt
  • "I'll try to resist marrying him at that cute little chapel in hell. You know, the one right next to the festering pit of dead bodies?" ~ Helen to Lucas about Orion
  • "Remember there's always a grain of truth in the prophecies, no matter how much poetry has been frosted on top." ~ Lucas to Helen
  • "The whole would could be in love with you and you wouldn't even notice, would you?" ~ Hector to Helen
  • "If she slept, if she stayed awake, what did it matter? There was no rest for her no matter what she did." ~ Helen
  • "I think all those ancient prophecies are so full of poetic nonsense that half the time no one understands what they mean." ~ Helen
  • "Even if someone tells you the future, you never really know what you're going to find until you get there." ~ Helen
  • "Love doesn't make you immune to car wrecks." ~ Helen to Claire
  • "I'm so game I should change my name to Yahtzee." ~ Claire
  • "If other men were houses, Lucas was her home." ~ Helen
  • "You are downright addictive." ~ Helen to Morpheus
  • "I'm not the monster you think I am." ~ Hades to Helen
  • "It didn't matter who felt like a house or a home or a frigging motel to her. She and Lucas could never be together. Period." ~ Helen
  • "Joy was the opposite of a prison. It opened the heart instead of locking it away. Joy was freedom -- freedom from sadness, bitterness, and hatred." ~ Helen
  • "No matter how down-to-earth she was on the inside, Helen's beauty really was inhuman." ~ Lucas
  • "You're too big a part of me. I'd have to forget who I am to forget you." ~ Helen to Lucas

Buy on Amazon.com: Dreamless (Starcrossed)

No comments:

Post a Comment