Sunday, January 29, 2012

Book #15: Someone Like You

Title: Someone Like You (first book in the "How to Deal" edition)

Author: Sarah Dessen

Date started reading: Jan. 29, 2012
Date finished reading:  Jan. 31, 2012

Publish date: Originally 1998, "How to Deal" edition 2003
ISBN: 978-0142501030
Number of pages: 281 in "Someone Like You." 486 in entire edition

Official summary: "Halley and Scarlett have been best friends for years, sharing secrets, clothes, and crushes. People know Scarlett as the popular, flamboyant one; Halley’s just her quiet sidekick. Then, at the beginning of their junior year, the balance shifts. First, Scarlett’s boyfriend Michael is killed in a freak accident; soon afterward, she learns that she is carrying his baby. For the first time, Scarlett really needs Halley. Their friendship may bend under the weight, but it’ll never break  – because a true friendship is a promise you keep forever. Sarah Dessen’s poignant, funny voice has earned her raves and legions of teenaged fans." (http://sarahdessen.com/book/someone-like-you/)

How I obtained the book: Received through the Paperback Swap book club. (I had to pay to mail a book to another member in order to receive a credit to request this book)

Memorable quotes:
  • "I took a deep breath, and all I could see in my mind was Michael, a boy I hardly knew, whose death now seemed to mean everything."
  • "All the milkshakes in the world weren’t going to get me out of this. So, just like that, I lost the end of my summer."
  • "Life is an ugly, awful place to not have a best friend. When I pictured myself, it was like just an outline in a coloring book, with the inside not yet completed. All the standard features were there. But the colors, the zigzags and plaids, the bits and pieces that made up me, Halley, weren't yet in place. Scarlett's vibrant reds and golds helped some, but I was still waiting."
  • "A tall, hairy man in a polka-dot shirt ... was buying four cans of potted meat, some air freshener, and two cans of lighter fluid. Sometimes you don't even want to think about what people are doing with their groceries." ~ Halley talking about a man going through her line at the grocery store she's a cashier at
  • "My best friend Scarlett had traded a kiwi fruit for her heart." 
  • "P.E. became the most important fifty minutes of my life." 

My commentary:
  • I'm a huge Mandy Moore fan, so I, of course, watched the "How to Deal" movie years ago (and a ton of times since). I loved the movie for many reasons. But I never knew it was based on books until a month ago when I was in a book store and spotted Mandy's photo on the cover of a book. I went home and searched the author's website for the title "How to Deal," which I didn't find. I was confused. Finally I went back to the store and looked at the book, which has a note from the author explaining that the movie was adapted from two of her books ("Someone Like You" and "That Summer). She says that the books were different stories with different characters, so it wasn't even like the movie's characters existed in both books. I was confused. I'm still confused. Maybe after I finish reading both books inside this edition, I'll understand it all better. I watched the movie again before starting this book just to get a refresher course on the storyline
  • I figured I could use a little break from all the supernatural books I've been reading, so I decided to go with this book. I'll be back to the world of vampires and witches and so on in a few days...
  • When I first picked up this book, I was confused about why "Someone Like You" came before "That Summer" in this edition. "That Summer" was actually published before "Someone Like You" originally, but now it makes sense. It seems like a lot of the movie was adapted from "Someone Like You," so it makes more sense that it comes first. 

Buy on Amazon.com: How to Deal: Someone Like You/That Summer (Movie tie-in)

No comments:

Post a Comment