Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Book #16: That Summer

Title: That Summer (second book in the "How to Deal" edition)

Author: Sarah Dessen

Date started reading: Jan. 31, 2012
Date finished reading:  Feb. 1, 2012

Publish date: Originally 1996, "How to Deal" edition 2003
ISBN: 978-0142501030
Number of pages: 205 in "That Summer." 486 in entire edition

Official summary: "For fifteen-year-old Haven, life is changing too quickly. She's nearly six feet tall, her father is getting remarried, and her sister -- the always perfect Ashley -- is planning a wedding of her own. Haven wishes things could just go back to the way they were. Then an old boyfriend of Ashley's reenters the picture, and through him, Haven sees the past for what it really was, and comes to grips with the future." (http://sarahdessen.com/book/someone-like-you/)

How I obtained the book: Received through the Paperback Swap book club. (I had to pay to mail a book to another member in order to receive a credit to request this book)

Memorable quotes:
  • "It’s funny how one summer can change everything. It must be something about the heat and the smell of chlorine, fresh-cut grass and honeysuckle, asphalt sizzling after late-day thunderstorms, the steam rising while everything drips around it. Something about long, lazy days and whirring air conditioners and bright plastic flip-flops from the drugstore thwacking down the street. Something about fall being so close, another year, another Christmas, another beginning. So much in one summer, stirring up like the storms that crest at the end of each day, blowing out all the heat and dirt to leave everything gasping and cool. Everyone can reach back to one summer and lay a finger to it, finding the exact point when everything changed. That summer was mine."

My commentary:
  • I'm a huge Mandy Moore fan, so I, of course, watched the "How to Deal" movie years ago (and a ton of times since). I loved the movie for many reasons. But I never knew it was based on books until a month ago when I was in a book store and spotted Mandy's photo on the cover of a book. I went home and searched the author's website for the title "How to Deal," which I didn't find. I was confused. Finally I went back to the store and looked at the book, which has a note from the author explaining that the movie was adapted from two of her books ("Someone Like You" and "That Summer). She says that the books were different stories with different characters, so it wasn't even like the movie's characters existed in both books. I was confused. After reading the first book, it's making more sense to me overall

Buy on Amazon.com: How to Deal: Someone Like You/That Summer (Movie tie-in)

No comments:

Post a Comment