Saturday, July 28, 2012

Book #103: City of Lost Souls

Title: City of Lost Souls (Book #5 of the Mortal Instruments series)

Author: Cassandra Clare

Date started reading: July 29, 2012
Date finished reading: Aug. 10, 2012

Publish date: May 2012
ISBN: 978-1442416864
Number of pages: 544

Official summary: "Can the lost be reclaimed? What price is too high to pay for love? Who can be trusted when sin and salvation collide? Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series." (http://www.cassandraclare.com)

Official book trailer:


How I obtained the book: Got through Listia.com (It's like eBay but uses credits instead of money)

My commentary:  Dear God, it feels like it took me forever to finish this book. Life got in the way of reading. I've been so busy that I couldn't read very often. It was like the never-ending book. A lot of people say that the book series should've ended after the first three books like it originally supposed to, and I'm almost at the point where I'd say those people are correct. The first three books were awesome, but the fourth one and this one hasn't been so great.

Memorable quotes:
  •  "(Clary) had always wanted a brother. And she had one now. Sebastian. It was like always wanting a puppy for a pet and being handed a hellhound instead."
  • "That was the thing about New York: you always knew more about your neighbors' business than you wanted to." ~ Alec
  • "Is your inner vampire different from your outer vampire?" ~ Clary
    "Definitely. He wants me to wear midriff-baring shirts and a fedora. I'm fighting it." ~ Simon
    "So your inner vampire is Magnus?" ~ Clary
  • "We're all orphans. Orphans of the storm." ~ Simon to Jordan and Maia
  • "My favorite jacket is an emergency item. Much like myself, it is both snuggly and fashionable." ~ Jace
  • "Immortality is rapidly becoming the third person in our relationship, Alec." ~ Magnus
  • "It's a good thing we know the person who's dating Magnus. Otherwise, I get the feeling we'd all just lie around all the time wondering what the hell to do next. Or try to raise the money to hire Magnus by selling lemonade." ~ Simon
    "The only way you could raise enough money to hire Magnus by selling lemonade is if you put meth in it." ~ Alec
    "It's an expression. We are all aware that your boyfriend is expensive." ~ Simon
  • "It was strange how your world could shift on its axis and everything you trusted could invert itself in what seemed like no time at all." ~ Simon
  • "I was expecting more of a 'Hallelujah Chorus.' I mean, it's not every day your boyfriend comes back from the dead." ~ Jace to Clary
  • "Tests are hard. Obstacle courses are hard. You disappearing like that practically killed me, Jace." ~ Clary
  • "The Morgenstern legacy is blood and devastation." ~ Jocelyn
  • "Every time you try to keep me safe, you wreck my life!" ~ Clary to Jocelyn
  • "From what I've experienced of vampires, you mostly suck. No pun intended." ~ Simon
  • "Isabelle's plans are terrible. Your plans are suicidal. At best." ~ Simon to Clary
  • "I would pluck out my own eyes with a fork before I would give away your secrets." ~ Simon to Clary
  • "'No' is a magical word. Here's how it goes. You say, 'Simon, I have an insane, suicidal plan. Would you like to help me carry it out?' And I say, 'Why, no.'" ~ Simon to Clary
  • "Love isn't moral or immoral. It just is." ~ Clary
  • "You can't just call the Praetor. It's not like 1-800-WEREWOLF." ~ Jordan
  • "To love as you choose, that takes strength." ~ Magnus
  • "Blood isn't love. Just ask Clary." ~ Magnus
  • "Sometimes you're so much like your mother you astound me a little, Isabelle." ~ Jocelyn
  • "Free will is what makes us Heaven's creatures." ~ Dolores
  • "Watching me play Scrabble is enough to make most women swoon. Imagine if I actually put in some effort." ~ Jace
  • "No more using the magic rings for Smurf questions." ~ Clary to Simon
  • "Nerd love. It's a beautiful thing, while also being an object of mockery and hilarity for those of us who are more sophisticated." ~ Magnus
  • "How could you be heartbroken and happy at the same time?" ~ Clary
  • "Jace is in love with the idea of dying. I'm not." ~ Isabelle
  • "Doubtless the lunatic asylums of the world are filled with unfortunate women who have failed to see my charms." ~ Jace
  • "If I'm going to die for you all, the least you could do is remember my name." ~ Simon to Magnus
  • "I'm young. I'm pretty. And I'm willing to burn the whole world to the ground to get what I want." ~ Sebastian
  • "Geek is chic. Ladies love nerds." ~ Simon
  • "My heart is your heart. My hands are your hands." ~ Jace to Clary

Buy on Amazon.com: City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments)

No comments:

Post a Comment