Thursday, July 5, 2012

Book #94: Need

Title: Need

Author: Carrie Jones

Date started reading: July 05, 2012
Date finished reading:  July 08, 2012

Publish date: December 2009
ISBN: 978-1599904535
Number of pages: 336

Official summary: "Zara collects phobias the way other high school girls collect lipsticks. Little wonder, since life’s been pretty rough so far. Her father left, her stepfather just died, and her mother’s pretty much checked out. Now Zara’s living with her grandmother in sleepy, cold Maine so that she stays 'safe.' Zara doesn’t think she’s in danger; she thinks her mother can’t deal. Wrong. Turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, isn’t a figment of her imagination. He’s a pixie — and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He’s the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs. And he’s trailing Zara." (http://www.carriejonesbooks.com)

Official book trailer:


How I obtained the book: Got through Lista.com (It's like eBay with a credit system instead of using money)

My commentary: I'm not quite sure what I expected from this series. I heard some people say it was good, and some said it was really weird. I, of course, knew to expect evil pixies, but werewolves, weretigers, werebears, and wereowls were not what I thought would come up. I never pictured a wereowl before. Turning into a bird would be cool I guess, but an owl? Anyways, the book was ok, but it was pretty weird. Zara is obsessed with knowing every phobia known to man and recites them to herself when she's scared or nervous. What an odd habit...

Memorable quotes:
  • "I collect fears like other people collect stamps, which makes me sound like more of a freak than I actually am. But I'm into it. The fears thing. Phobias. ... It's a lot easier to understand things once you name them. It's the unknown that mostly freaks me out." ~ Zara
  • "There's no easy off button for your brain. It would be really, really nice if there were." ~ Zara
  • "You know things aren't going to be good when even the sky is gray and cold." ~ Zara
  • "Why is it that naming the fear doesn't make it any better?" ~ Zara
  • "It's not easy being a leaf in New England." ~ Zara
  • "That's what stinks about lying. It's hard to do it to yourself and actually believe it." ~ Zara
  • "The sun is setting and it's only five o' clock. How do people live here? It should be against the law to live anywhere that the sun sets so early. If I were a dictator I would totally make that law." ~ Zara
  • "There are people who like cute, furry things and people who eat cute, furry things." ~ Issie
  • "Disappointing Issie is like telling a four-year-old that ice cream cones have been banned." ~ Zara
  • "Fear makes us stronger, puts us on our toes. We've got to embrace it." ~ Devyn
  • "Maine is turning me into such a geek." ~ Zara
  • "Catagelophobia is the fear of being ridiculed. I think this is a very normal phobia. It is a phobia I should actively cultivate." ~ Zara
  • "A real friend would not bring up something that would so obviously embarrass his friend because of its innate patheticness." ~ Zara to Nick
  • "Welcome to Maine, Zara. Land of a million power failures." ~ the art teacher
  • "I'm not into pity parties." ~ Zara
  • "Heroes are supposed to play fair." ~ Zara
  • "Hope is a crazy thing. It will make you believe." ~ Zara
  • "No more phobias. Real life is scary enough." ~ Zara
  • "Werewolves aren't supposed to be cute. Vampires are, I think. They are in the movies. But the werewolves are pretty much ugly and they wear leather jackets and are all dirty with these monster sideburns." ~ Zara to Nick
  • "I think there could be a market for these werewolf kisses." ~ Zara
  • "Hate is a useless emotion." ~ Zara
  • "Cliches are cliches for a reason." ~ Ian
  • "Everybody always leaves." ~ Zara
  • "People don't want to see the truth sometimes." ~ Betty
  • "Blood isn't always the strongest link." ~ Betty
  • "Friends help friends fight pixies." ~ Issie

Buy on Amazon.com: Need

No comments:

Post a Comment