Monday, July 2, 2012

Book #92: Torn

Title: Torn (Book #2 of the Trylle trilogy)

Author: Amanda Hocking

Date started reading: July 03, 2012
Date finished reading: July 04, 2012

Publish date: February 2012
ISBN: 978-1250006325
Number of pages: 336

Official summary: "When Wendy Everly first discovers the truth about herself — that she’s a changeling switched at birth — she knows her life will never be the same. Now she’s about to learn that there’s more to the story… She shares a closer connection to her Vittra rivals than she ever imagined — and they’ll stop at nothing to lure her to their side. With the threat of war looming, her only hope of saving the Trylle is to master her magical powers — and marry an equally powerful royal. But that means walking away from Finn, her handsome bodyguard who’s strictly off limits… and Loki, a Vittra prince with whom she shares a growing attraction. Torn between her heart and her people, between love and duty, Wendy must decide her fate. If she makes the wrong choice, she could lose everything, and everybody, she’s ever wanted…in both worlds." (http://amandahocking.blogspot.com)

Official series trailer:


How I obtained the book: Got through Lista.com (It's like eBay with a credit system instead of using money)

My commentary:
  • Holy cow. This book was amazing. I don't think there is anything I'd change about it if I could. The writing is wonderfully done. The story is utterly breath-taking. The characters are intriguing. 
  • I loved how "torn" Wendy is between Finn and Loki and her arranged marriage to Tove. She has to decide between Finn who she loves but keeps breaking her heart because they're social classes don't marry together. Loki is of proper class but he's in the enemy troll tribe. Tove is just a friend who she likes but doesn't love, and they're marriage is arranged to save the kingdom. "Torn" was definitely the correct title to use for this book.  
  • There's a hilarious part where Wendy tells Duncan that he reminds her of Deputy Dewey (played by David Arquette) from the "Scream" movies. I can't believe that anyone would've thought to make that comparison, which is somehow a little sweet and insulting at the same time. I'm afraid that may be a little lost on the teenagers who are reading this series now, but to someone my age who was a teenager when the movies first came out, it was awesome.

Memorable quotes:
  • "Wendy, do you care nothing for your own safety?" ~ Finn
  • "I wasn't meant to be a Princess." ~ Wendy
  • "Don't underestimate me, Princess. I eat girls like you for breakfast." ~ Ludlow
  • "You seem like a self-saboteur." ~ Loki to Wendy
  • "You're rather feisty for a Princess." ~ Loki 
  • "Not all prisons have bars. You should know that better than anyone, Princess." ~ Loki
  • "She's the Princess. It's not rocket science that we'd come after her." ~ Duncan
  • "Elora, you need to tell me the truth. You can't keep hiding stuff from me this way, not if you want me to rule someday. I'd make a very horrible Queen if I was ignorant to everything." ~ Wendy
  • "You'll drive yourself mad trying to discern and prevent the future. It's much better letting things unfold." ~ Elora
  • "The future is far too fluid to ever understand or change." ~ Elora
  • "All I knew was that I was sick of him breaking my heart." ~ Wendy about Finn
  •  "I've been Queen for a while, Princess. I know how to pick my battles. ... You learn to tolerate the things you cannot change." ~ Elora
  • "If it ever comes down to a situation between me and you, save yourself. I'm not worth dying for." ~ Wendy to Duncan
  • "I've found that I get what I want more often with basic decency than unnecessary cruelty." ~ Loki
  • "Being human is something we strive against." ~ Finn
  • "If I'm left in the dark about things, it's because you're the one who left me there. You expect me to rule this place, yet you refuse to tell me anything about it." ~ Wendy to Elora
  • "You and your friend there look like a couple of Acme Spy School droupouts." ~ Loki about Wendy and Duncan
  • "People aren't always what they seem." ~ Thomas
  • "Love is a fairy tale that manks tell their children so they'll have grandchildren. Love has nothing to do with marriage." ~ Elora
  • "I'd rather not be Queen than marry someone I don't love." ~ Wendy
  • "The more powerful we are, the more cursed we are." ~ Elora
  • "Life isn't a fairy tale, Duncan." ~ Wendy
  • "Nobody's really free." ~ Wendy

Buy on Amazon.com: Torn

No comments:

Post a Comment