Thursday, February 2, 2012

Book #17: The Stolen

Title: The Stolen (Book #2 of the "Nine Lives of Chloe King" series)

Author: Celia Thomson (a.k.a. Liz Braswell)

Date started reading: Feb. 02, 2012
Date finished reading: Feb. 04, 2012

Publish date: August 2004
ISBN: 978-0689866593
Number of pages: 288

Official summary: "She argues with her mother. She occasionally skips class. And she alternately crushes on two totally different boys. But Chloe King is by no means your typical teenager. The girl can scale buildings and see in the dark. Sometimes, at night, she even likes to leap from rooftop to rooftop. Yes, Chloe has the instincts and ability of a cat. And that makes her unique indeed. It also makes her a wanted woman. Because the Order of the Tenth Blade does not deal kindly with people like Chloe. It stalks them. Preys upon them. And wants many of them -- like Chloe, for instance -- dead." (http://lizbraswell.com/)

How I obtained the book: Bought at a used book store for $3.05

Memorable quotes:
  • "Trust me, Chloe. ... Survival is difficult and often unpleasant." ~ Sergei
  • "Living here is worse than being in a Russian novel." ~ Chloe 
  • "Who needs movies when you are a mutant?" ~ Chloe
  • "Life wasn't like TV, and (Chloe) had definitely not been whisked away to her Happily Ever After. No one could do that. ... There were no real superheroes." 
  • "Life, when (Chloe) returned to it, was pain."

My commentary:
  • I read the first book in the series last year, but it took until last week for me to finally find the second and third books in a store. Part of my problem is that originally the books were written under the pen name Celia Thomson, but then once it became a TV show, the first book was re-released under the author's real name (Liz Braswell), and the TV show even said the real name in the opening credits (as you can see below). So I spent months trying to find the second and third books with her real name, but had no luck. I had no clue until a few weeks ago that the books weren't originally written with the pen name. I don't get why authors do crap like that. It just confuses people. 


  • I am still ticked off that the ABC Family channel canceled the TV show, and reading this book has made me even more mad. There were so many possible ways they could've taken the TV show if the network had given it a chance. It was a much better show than many of the other shows on TV currently
  • For once, I feel like I got my money's worth with this book. Normally when I spend more than a couple dollars on a book, I get annoyed that I spent anything on it, but this one was definitely worth the time and money. I hope the third book is just as good
  • Without spoiling it for anyone else .... I was so shocked by the ultimate betrayal on the very last page of the book. I literally said "oh my God" out loud when I read it. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised but I was totally surprised. I didn't see it coming

Buy on Amazon.com: The Stolen (Nine Lives of Chloe King)


No comments:

Post a Comment