Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Book #11: Paranormalcy

Title: Paranormalcy

Author: Kiersten White

Date started reading: Feb. 6, 2013
Date finished reading: Feb. 7, 2013

Publish date: August 2010
ISBN: 978-0061985843
Number of pages: 352

Official summary: "Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal. Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths, and even worse, that she is at the centre of a dark prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures. So much for normal." (http://kierstenwrites.blogspot.com)

Official book trailer:


How I obtained the book: Checked out of library

My sorta-spoilery commentary:

  •  I knew this series was going to be odd. All you have to do is read the book description to know it's going to be at least a little weird. I wasn't quite prepared for how truly weird it is. Don't get me wrong... I love it, but it's weird. 
  • The author doesn't use cuss words 99% of the time when they could be used. Evie's best friend is a mermaid who has to talk to her through a translator on her tank. The translator won't translate cuss words, so it says "bleep" instead. Evie ends up using "bleep" in every day life instead of cussing. It's funny, but sort of annoying at the same time. 
  • When Evie finds out that the fairies "created" her and Vivian as "empty ones" who were built to steal soles from immortal paranormal beings, my mind flashed back to the scene in "True Blood" when Sookie found out she was part fairy. If I was in Evie's position, I think I'd react exactly like Sookie does in that scene... both confused and annoyed at how lame that is. Of course, Evie isn't supposed to be a fairy herself, just made by them, so it's not quite the same as Sookie. Did that make any sense at all? No? Well maybe you need to read the book then...


Memorable quotes:
  • "Tasers are a one-size-fits-all paranormal butt-kicking option. Mine's pink with rhinestones." ~ Evie (I found the graphic below for this quote on tumblr and laughed)

  • "I couldn't be one or the other -- by being both normal and paranormal I didn't belong anywhere. I was sick of not belonging." ~ Evie
  • "Death in sparkly platform sandals. It's a nice image, at least."~Lend
  • "I wonder if things have always been this weird and I just never knew, or if they're getting worse." ~ Evie
  • "IPCA acted on absolutes, and I was increasingly realizing that nothing was absolute in this world." ~ Evie
  •  "We're both Empty Ones -- like little, hollow china dolls." ~ Vivian to Evie
  • "How do you respond when someone tells you how easy it would be to kill you, then says she wants to be best friends, family?" ~ Evie
  • "Just because you don't know what you are doesn't make you scary. I'm pretty familiar with that. Besides, how could I ever be afraid of someone who wears so much pink?" ~ Lend to Evie
  • "It's like teenage nirvana!" ~ Evie about the mall
    "And here I was thinking purgatory." ~ Lend
  • "Normal was stranger than paranormal sometimes." ~ Evie
  • "If it were possible to die of happiness, you could have written my obituary right then." ~ Evie


Buy on Amazon.com: Paranormalcy

1 comment:

  1. I like this book a lot and it was a really funny intro into the first book.

    ReplyDelete