Sunday, February 17, 2013

Book # 16: Indigo Spell

Title: Indigo Spell (Book #3 in the Bloodlines series)

Author: Richelle Mead

Date started reading: Feb. 17, 2013
Date finished reading:  Feb. 17, 2013

Publish date: February 2013
ISBN: 978-1595143198
Number of pages: 432

Official summary: "In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch -- a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood -- or else she might be next." (http://www.richellemead.com)

Official book trailer:


How I obtained the book: Pre-ordered for $12.63 from Walmart using a giftcard I got for Christmas

My commentary:
  • I don't really have words for how amazing this book is. I love Sydney's character, and I love Adrian, and I love them together as a couple. I'm glad that he was his dedicated self in his pursuit of her love, and I'm glad she finally realized that she was just as in love with him as he is with her. The book was romantic ... and funny ... and sometimes frustrating ... and sometimes a little heart-breaking when Sydney rejects Adrian again at first. 
  • I'm glad Rose and Dimitri made an appearance because I frankly miss those characters when they're not in my life.
  • I love that Sydney's experimenting with magic and starting to question what all the alchemists believe. I'm ecstatic that Sydney conjured up a little demon (or "dragon" as she wants to consider it) as part of a spell, and it thinks that Sydney and Adrian are its parents. They have this little demon love-child, and they haven't even had sex yet.

Memorable quotes:
  • "Better to risk being sacrificed than face the Alchemists' wrath." ~ Sydney
  • "Humans weren't supposed to weild magic -- and they certainly weren't supposed to enjoy it." ~ Sydney
  • "Maybe Moroi and dhampirs weren't creatures of evil, like I'd once believed, but they certainly weren't human." ~ Sydney
  • "I'm done with the pouting. Done with being moody -- well, I mean, I'm always a little moody. That's what Adrian Ivashkov's all about. But I'm done with the excessive stuff. They didn't get me anywhere with Rose. It won't get me anywhere with you." ~ Adrian to Sydney
  • "I'm going to just go on loving you, even if it's hopeless." ~ Adrian to Sydney
  • "If I keep loving you, maybe you'll eventually crack and love me too. Hell, I'm pretty sure you're already half in love with me." ~ Adrian to Sydney
  • "Maybe vampires were unnatural creatures, but they certainly had excellent taste in caterers." ~ Sydney
  • "I'm a master of self-control." ~ Adrian
  • "Like Sonya and Mikhail, there was a bond of love between Rose and Dimitri that was almost palpable." ~ Sydney
  • "Magic leaves a mark on your blood that permeates your whole body." ~ Ms. Terwilliger
  • "Something I'd learned over the years: it was never a good thing when people said, 'Here's something I never told you...'" ~ Sydney
  • "I knew some girls thought it was sexy to have men fight over them. Not me." ~ Sydney
  • "The problem with having so many people call me by nicknames was that when someone called me by my actual name, it usually meant something serious was happening." ~ Sydney
  • "If you want to get a guy to do something that might be difficult, then the best way is to distract him so that he can't devote his full brainpower to the consequences." ~ Adrian
    "You don't have a lot of faith in your own gender." ~ Sydney
    "Hey, I'm telling you the truth. I've been distracted by sexy dresses a lot." ~ Adrian
  • "Adrian was distracted by a lot of things. Fondue. T-shirts. Kittens." ~ Sydney
  • "My life's already complicated enough without witches coming after me." ~ Sydney
  • "We chase away the shadows around each other. Our backgrounds don't matter. What we have is bigger than that. I love you, and beneath all that logic, calculation, and superstition, I know you love me too." ~ Adrian to Sydney
  • "This isn't a Disney movie where I have an adorable sidekick. You aren't coming out." ~ Sydney to the "dragon"
  • "Adrian Ivashkov wasn't easy to surprise, but I surprised him then when I brought his mouth toward mind. I kissed him, and for a moment, he was too stunned to respond." ~ Sydney
  • "You're not losing your virginity in a dream. If that's even possible. I don't want to deal with the philosophical side of it. And besides, there's no need to rush anyway. Sometimes it's worth lingering on the journey a while before getting to the destination." ~ Adrian to Sydney
  • "I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him closer. I didn't care that we were out in public. I didn't care that he was Moroi. All that mattered was that he was Adrian, my Adrian. My match. My partner in crime, in the long battle I'd just signed on for to right the wrongs in the Alchemist and Moroi worlds. Maybe Marcus was right that I'd also signed myself up for disaster, but I didn't care. In that moment, it seemed that as long as Adrian and I were together, there was no challenge too great for us." ~ Sydney
  • "Let me get this straight. The future of our relationship hinged on advice from a fifteen-year-old girl, a probably untrue story from a one-eyed Chihuahua trainer, and me unromantically -- yet skillfully -- kissing you on top of silverware and china?" ~ Adrian to Sydney
  • "(Adrian) was too perfect, despite being one of the most imperfect people I knew." ~ Sydney

Buy on Amazon.com: The Indigo Spell: A Bloodlines Novel

No comments:

Post a Comment