Thursday, February 14, 2013

Book # 15: Darkness Before Dawn

Title: Darkness Before Dawn

Author: J.A. London

Date started reading: Feb. 14, 2013
Date finished reading: Feb. 17, 2013

Publish date: May 2012
ISBN: 978-0062020659
Number of pages: 368

Official summary: "The war is over. The humans lost. And in the shattered world that arises, the vampires are king. They rule over the remaining walled cities with an iron fist, none more terrifying than Lord Valentine. His concern is with blood and blood alone, and seeing that it is ‘donated’ on time. It’s Dawn Montgomery’s duty to ensure the safety of her fellow humans within the city, but also to serve as Delegate to Lord Valentine. She is the conduit between the two worlds, the human and vampire, and the youngest to ever do so. But when Lord Valentine’s son, Victor, steps into her life, everything changes. She assumes he wants her blood, like all vampires. But he’s after more: her heart." (http://www.jalondon.com)

How I obtained the book: Checked out of library

My commentary:
  • Pre-reading thought: I must admit this -- I am going to read this series mostly just because of how utterly beautiful the covers are. I know I shouldn't judge a book by its cover and sometimes it bites me on the ass when I do it, but I can't help it. They're so pretty...
  • It's funny that I ended up starting this book on Valentine's Day when the "lord" vampire in the book has the last name of Valentine. It wasn't intentional.
  • I'm not usually much for dystopian type books, but this one was different. I guess a world of human misery that was brought upon them by a war with vampires makes me much more interested in it. 
  • The romance and possible future between Dawn and the vampire Victor is an intriguing storyline, and I can't wait to read the other books in the series. 
  • Trusting my instincts about this book based on its cover turned out to be good this time.
  • Spoiler-filled comments: I totally called it that Sin would be a bad guy when he showed up in the book. I was not at all surprised that he turned out to be a vampire or Lord Valentine's son. I was, however, surprised somewhat that Dawn's brother was Sin's lackey vampire who was stalking Dawn. I'm not sure how I was surprised by that. I should've expected that her brother wasn't truly dead. I'm really curious to see what "destiny" Dawn has that the assassin was talking to Dawn's father about in the very beginning of the book. I wonder if it was her destiny to become a vampire and rule with Victor.  I wonder how Dawn will handle being a vampire, which the end of the book implies will happen... which I also expected to happen

Memorable quotes:
  •  "Dawn lives in ignorance, and it is my dearest wish that she stay that way forever." ~ Dawn's father
  • "When someone has the power to destroy all you hold dear if he's not happy, you do whatever it takes to keep him satisfied. Even if it kills you inside. Even if most of what you hold dear has already been taken." ~ Dawn about Lord Valentine
  • "Sometimes we just want to prove that we're not afraid of the dark. Even when we are." ~ Dawn
  • "The nightmares devour my sleep; I can't let them consume my waking moments, too." ~ Dawn
  • "Not all the monsters have fangs." ~ Dawn
  • "That's the thing about people in this city: No one cares. Was it always this way? If so, what were we fighting for during the war?" ~ Dawn
  • "Since the war, it's like the world has gone totally off its axis. The only rules that exist are those for survival." ~ Dawn
  • "Obviously Valentine has control issues." ~ Dawn
    "He needs to see a shrink." ~ Michael
  • "I'll single-handedly start another war with the vamps if Valentine hurts you." ~ Michael to Dawn
  • "Eternal life is a tempting purchase. But at what price? One I'd never pay. Nothing is worth becoming a monster." ~ Dawn
  • "Such is my life as a delegate. I've become a love-her-or-hate-her kind of girl." ~ Dawn
  • "I have a very simple philosophy: If you want something, you have to be willing to do whatever it takes to get it." ~ Sin
  • "Before I was turned, I saw all vampires as monsters. Funny, now I think it's the humans. I laugh and cry and feel the same as they do. I'd never hurt a soul, but if I walked these streets openly, I'd be staked." ~ Martha
  • "I've known humans, but I've never known anyone like you, Dawn Montgomery. You're so passionate in your beliefs. We live forever and have started to take so much for granted. You appreciate everything." ~ Victor
  • "I hate when someone answers a question with a question." ~ Dawn
  • "I despise when vampires turn children -- even when it's their own." ~ Victor
  • "People are either reviled by vampires -- or they want to become one. But forever isn't what anyone expects it to be." ~ Victor
  • "I wish time would stop for a few years while I sort out everything. But the gears just keep turning, and I have to keep up somehow." ~ Dawn
  • "I like you, Dawn. I've seen a lot of humans, from far away and up close. I've never met one like you. I think you're the closest thing to a sunrise I'll ever see." ~ Victor

Buy on Amazon.com: Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn - Trilogy)

No comments:

Post a Comment