Thursday, February 7, 2013

Book #12: Supernaturally

Title: Supernaturally (Book #2 in the Paranormalcy trilogy)

Author: Kiersten White

Date started reading: Feb. 7, 2013
Date finished reading:  Feb. 9, 2013

Publish date: July 2011
ISBN: 978-0061985867
Number of pages: 352

Official summary: "Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be ... kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees. But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself. So much for normal." (http://kierstenwrites.blogspot.com)

Official book trailer:


How I obtained the book: Checked out of library

My spoilery commentary: 
  • So as it turns out my use of the "True Blood" gif in the post about the first book in this series was actually spot-on. Evie's father was a faerie so in a way, she's a part faerie, so the fact that I thought of Sookie finding out she was part faerie and thinking it was lame was frankly perfect.
  • I liked this book better than the first one, and I think that's mostly due to the introduction of Jack. He's such an immature smart-ass, and he's totally hilarious in some parts of the book. I was pretty sure from the beginning that he wasn't to be trusted totally, and I was right because he did betray Evie. Despite everything, he seems like a good guy though... or at least as good as someone could be being raised by fairies when you're human.
  • I really like the little typography details in this series. That's such a design-nerd thing to say, but it's true. These little touches are cute...


Memorable quotes:
  • “Sometimes I wanted to take a memory - one perfect memory - curl up in it, and go to sleep.” ~ Evie
  • "Only he could do this to me -- make me feel this awful and confused. When I was with Reth, everything lonely and heartbroken in me seemed to well to the surface, begging to let him take it  away." ~ Evie
  • "I feel like I'm doomed to lose everyone, always. I can't seem to keep the people I love." ~ Evie
  • "I think swooning is highly underrated. You could bring it back into vogue." ~ Jack
  • "My future felt like a huge blank, dependent on variables I couldn't control." ~ Evie
  • “You know when you’re on the edge of wake and sleep, and the dream you’re leaving feels more real to you than anything the world has to offer? When you open your eyes, it’s as though part of you stayed, and you know you’ll never feel things quite as deeply, experience them quite as truly as you had in that tiny space of awareness between darkness and light.” ~ Evie
  • "Sometimes reality sucked." ~ Evie
  • "(I) had no doubt that where Jack was, problems would follow." ~ Evie
  • "Eternal life is bad enough without giving it to pests like you." ~ Arianna to Jack
  • "Girls are mean. At least faeries simply kill you if they don't want you around." ~ Jack 
  • "I'm a magnet for crazies, I guess." ~ Evie
  • "There were a lot of things wrong with me, but loving Lend was definitely not one of them." ~ Evie
  • "It's amazing what one can learn if it means not starving to death." ~ Jack
  • "Faeries aren't as mystical as they want you to think." ~ Jack
  • "Not everything is life and death. A little party never hurt anyone." ~ Jack
  • "I am so sick of moral dilemmas!" ~ Evie
  • "There were enough unanswered questions in my life; I didn't like having to wonder whether or not I was a good person." ~ Evie
  • "Eternal life is no life at all." ~ Arianna
  • "Say what you will about zombies and their hygiene issues, at least they kill you fast. College acceptance boards? They like to draw out the torture as long as possible." ~ Evie
  • "Why couldn't my glamour-piercing eyes have a laser function? I wouldn't kill him. I'd just burn the word 'freak' into his forehead." ~ Evie about Jack
  • "Leave it to a boy to make the Faerie Realms look like a dump." ~ Evie about Jack
  • "What's the point in hating something if you aren't proactive?" ~ Jack
  • "The cold, empty feeling I'd been running from for so long welled up, threatening to overwhelm me with everything I lacked. I wasn't special. I wasn't paranormal. I wasn't even normal. I was neither. Nothing." ~ Evie

Buy on Amazon.com: Supernaturally (Paranormalcy)

No comments:

Post a Comment