Saturday, February 18, 2012

Book #25: Two Truths and a Lie

Title: "Two Truths and a Lie" (Book #3 in "The Lying Game" series)

Author: Sara Shepard

Date started reading: Feb. 19, 2012
Date finished reading: Feb. 20, 2012

Publish date: February 2012
ISBN: 978-0061869747
Number of pages: 304

Official summary: "My killer is out there. And my sister might be next. Two months before I died, my best friend’s brother disappeared. I have no idea where Thayer went or why he left, but I know it’s my fault. I did a lot of horrible things while I was alive, things that made people hate me, maybe even enough to kill me. Desperate to solve my murder, my long-lost twin, Emma, is pretending to be me and unraveling the many mysteries I left behind — my cryptic journal, my tangled love life, the dangerous Lying Game pranks I played. She’s uncovered my friends’ darkest secrets, but she’s never had the chance to dig into Thayer’s past — until now. Thayer’s back and Emma has to move fast to figure out if he’s after revenge... or if he’s already gotten it." (http://www.harperteen.com)

How I obtained the book: Pre-ordered for $13.76 from Barnes & Noble

Memorable quotes:
  • "One thing I'd learn about being dead was that I'd made a lot of mistakes when I was alive. Mistakes I could never set right." ~ Sutton
  • "This one-way-communication thing was a serious flaw in the whole being-dead thing." ~ Sutton

My commentary:
  • With all the supernatural type of books, movies, and TV shows I enjoy, you'd think I'd have no problem getting into a story about a ghost and her alive long lost teenage twin sister, but somehow I still have issues with the storyline. Don't get me wrong... I love the storyline. I love Sara Shepard's books. She's creative and constantly throws in plot twists that are very interesting, but I keep getting hung up on the idea that Sutton's spirit is just following Emma around as she tries to solve Sutton's death. I have a strong feeling it's because I'm so obsessed with the TV show that it crosses over into the book series. It's hard for me to think of Sutton as being dead because both teens are alive on the show. I don't usually have trouble separating books from shows or movies based on them, but in this case I do. Sometimes I wish the books were more like the show, but in the end, the books are still a good read
  • Sara Shepard is so good at interweaving current events and trends/fads into her writing that it almost surprises me. Sometimes I wonder if she has teenage girls acting as advisers telling her what's popular in the world of teen music, clothes, TV, etc., or maybe she reads all the teenage magazines herself. Regardless of how she does it, I REALLY love that she references Kelly Clarkson's song "Mr. Know It All" during a nightmare Emma has about Thayer. It was a perfect song to refer to considering the nightmare's topic and it's a very recent hit song. I get lost sometimes on all her fashion references (more so with the "Pretty Little Liars" series than this one) because I'm just totally not up on fashion designers, but it's still very impressive
  • I wonder how many books Shepard can crank out in this series without Emma solving the murder. Three books and the murderer is still a mystery.

Buy on Amazon.com: The Lying Game #3: Two Truths and a Lie


No comments:

Post a Comment