Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Book #65: Lenobia's Vow

Title: Lenobia's Vow (companion book to House of Night series)

Author: P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

Date started reading: May 1, 2012
Date finished reading: May 1, 2012

Publish date: January 2012
ISBN: 978-1250000248
Number of pages: 160

Official summary: "Before she is Zoey’s favorite professor and the House of Night’s powerful horse mistress… Lenobia is just a normal 16-year-old girl -- with enough problems to last a lifetime. As the illegitimate daughter of a powerful baron, she has never quite belonged, and instead has to watch her spoiled half-sister, Cecile, get anything she wants. As if that’s not enough, her remarkable beauty draws unwanted attention wherever she goes. For once, she would like to just fit in. But when fate intervenes, Lenobia suddenly finds herself surrounded by other girls, on a ship bound for New Orleans, where they will be married off to the city’s richest Frenchmen. And they’re not alone. ... An evil bishop who is skilled in Dark magic makes the same journey. His appetite for lovely young women makes him dangerous -- most of all to Lenobia, who caught his eye back in France. So she remains hidden, making secret visits to the ship’s stables, where a handsome young man and his beautiful Percheron horses soon capture her attention. Will they make it to land before the bishop discovers her true identity and a powerful evil breaks loose? And will Lenobia follow her heart, even if it puts lives at risk? (http://www.houseofnightseries.com)

How I obtained the book: Checked out of library. This is a somewhat funny little story. My library system (which consists of 18 libraries) did not own a single copy of this book. I actually joined another library system through the mail so I could check this book out. It is a 40 mile roundtrip to the nearest library in that library system. For that much driving considering the price of gasoline, it's probably worth it to just buy the book at a store nearby my house... but oh well...

Memorable quotes:
  • "How do I remember who I am if I am pretending to be someone else?" ~ Lenobia 
  • "Horses and happiness -- they go together." ~ Lenobia 
  • "If the worst that can happen to me for choosing to live by your side is that I die in peace loving you, then I choose whatever happiness we can find in this world." ~ Lenobia to Martin

My commentary:
  • I had to interrupt my regularly scheduled reading of the "Morganville Vampires" series to read this because the next Morganville book is not currently available at the library, and the copy I bought through eBay hasn't shown up yet. That's okay though because I wanted to read this anyway.
  • This book is so incredibly sad and serious. It was drastically different than the regular books in the series. I had trouble getting into the story at first, but it got better as it went on... but also more and more sad. It was definitely necessary to the main series' storyline about Lenobia because it explains why she's hesitant to let herself fall in love. 

Buy on Amazon.com: Lenobia's Vow: A House of Night Novella

No comments:

Post a Comment