Monday, May 21, 2012

Book #75: Hush Hush

Title: Hush Hush

Author: Becca Fitzpatrick

Date started reading: May 22, 2012
Date finished reading:  May 24, 2012

Publish date: September 2010
ISBN: 978-1416989424
Number of pages: 416

Official summary: "For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment. But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen -- and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life." (http://beccafitzpatrick.com)

Official book trailer:


How I obtained the book: Bought for $4.24 at used book store

Memorable quotes:
  • "You keep life on a short leash. ... You're scared of what you can't control." ~ Patch to Nora
  • "I have to admit, his dark side calls to me." ~ Vee about Patch
  • "I don't have a type. I'm not that narrow." ~ Nora
    "You, babe, are more than narrow -- you're confined. Cramped. Your spectrum is about as wide as one of Coach's microorganisms. There are very few, if any, boys at school you would fall for." ~ Vee
    "That's not true. It isn't about the boys, it's about love. I haven't found it." ~ Nora
    "It isn't about love. It's about fun." ~ Vee
  • "This is a good thing, and a bad thing. You find the wrong boy, you ask for trouble. You find the right boy, you find love." ~ Dorothea
  • "If rule number one of flirting was no lists, I was fairly certain rule number two was no sweating." ~ Nora
  • "I think you should treat him like a loaded gun. Something about him isn't normal." ~ Vee about Patch 
  • "The whole night felt unbalanced. It was hard to have a showdown with someone as indifferent as Patch. No, not indifferent. Perfectly controlled. Down to the last cell in his body." ~ Nora
  • "Keep in mind that people change, but the past doesn't." ~ Patch to Nora
  • "Betrayal hurts, doesn't it?" ~  Dabria
  • "This whole night felt like a dark fairy tale I'd strayed into and couldn't find my way back out of. A fairy tale with fallen angels, human hybrids, and sacrificial killings." ~ Nora
  • "My whole world felt like a joke, and I was the last one to get the punch line. I wasn't Nora Grey, average girl. I was the descendant of someone who wasn't even human. And my heart was smashing itself to pieces over another nonhuman. A dark angel." ~ Nora
  • "I knew it was wrong. He was the worst kind of wrong. He was so wrong it felt right, and that made me feel completely out of control." ~ Nora about Patch
  • "First rule of auto theft: Try not to hang around the crime scene longer than necessary." ~ Patch
  • "Finding him was like finding someone I didn't know I was searching for. He'd come into my life too late, and now he was leaving too soon." ~ Nora about Patch

My commentary:
  • I'm not sure if I had built my expectations for this series up too high or if it's because I just finished the "Fallen" saga by Lauren Kate, but this book just didn't live up to what I hoped it would be. I probably shouldn't have started this series right after another one about fallen angels. I loved the "Fallen" books so much. Maybe "Hush Hush" is just suffering the consequences of coming second. It wasn't really bad. I enjoyed some parts, but I just couldn't get into as much as I hoped. Patch pales in comparison to the fallen angels created by Lauren Kate, and I prefer Luce from "Fallen" to Nora from "Hush Hush." I'll still read the rest of the books in the series though. 
  • One thing I do really love though... and this is such a graphic designer type thing to notice... is the little black feathers that are scattered throughout the book.
 

Buy on Amazon.com: Hush, Hush


No comments:

Post a Comment