Author: Lauren Kate
Date started reading: May 17, 2012
Date finished reading: May 19, 2012
Publish date: September 2010
Number of pages: 464
Official summary: "Hell on earth. That’s what it’s like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel. It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts — immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans. At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn’t told her everything. He’s hiding something — something dangerous. What if Daniel’s version of the past isn’t actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?" (http://www.randomhouse.com/teens/fallen/books.php)
Official book trailers:
How I obtained the book: Bought for $2 at Friends of the Library charity book sale
- "(Daniel and Cam) were alike in so many ways. But Cam was something worse, a demon, and that made him capable of despicable acts with no remorse. Daniel was crippled by remorse. And right now, he was further crippled by love."
- "Little-known fact about angels: We make excellent pillows." ~ Daniel
- "A demon is teaching our humanities class? And that's okay?" ~ Luce
- "Okay, hit me, what's the weirdest thing about Shorine so far?" ~ Miles
"I don't even know where to start. Maybe my roommate, who I think snuck in just before sunrise this morning and was gone again before I woke up. No, wait, it's taking a class taught by a demon-and-angel couple. Or the way the kids here look at me like I'm some legendary freak. Anonymous freak, I got used to. But notorious freak --" ~ Luce
"You are not notorious." ~ Miles
- "End Times aren't supposed to be very pretty." ~ Roland
- "I have to go." ~ Daniel
"How shocking. Turn up out of nowhere, pick a fight, then duck out. This must be real, true love." ~ Luce
- "Usually, we'll take just about anyone we can get, but even Satan has his limits." ~ Cam
- "Good and evil aren't as clear-cut as you think. ... What you think of as evil -- well, to my kind, it's a simple problem to connotation." ~ Cam
- "Daniel and I are two sides of the same coin. It must pain you to hear that." ~ Cam to Luce
- "Luce was certainly no expert when it came to love."
- "Reincarnation is for freaks." ~ Shelby
- "I'd given anything to just be normal." ~ Shelby
- "(Luce and Daniel) could steam up windows with their kisses, but as soon as they started using their mouths for other things -- like talking -- everything got so complicated."
- "I love you, Luce. So much it hurts." ~ Daniel
- "Love and hate were supposed to stand cleanly on opposite sides of the spectrum. The division seemed as clear as ... well, angels and demons would once have seemed to her. Not anymore." ~ Luce
- "Sometimes beautiful things come into our lives out of nowhere. We can't always understand them, but we have to trust in them. I know you want to question everything, but sometimes it pays to just have a little faith." ~ Francesca to Luce
- "Kissing me is dangerous." ~ Luce to Miles
- "Loneliness in a crowd of people was the worst kind of loneliness." ~ Luce
- "Compared to Shoreline, (Sword & Cross) was a gruesome sort of Purgatory." ~ Luce
- "Now she realized that the only worthwhile way to make a change was to earn a real one." ~ Luce
- There is a scene where Daniel and Luce are dancing on top of the ocean. I can't wait to do some photo-manipulation artwork via deviantART based on that. A sorta-gothy girl with an angel dancing on an ocean? Yeah, perfect artwork for me.
Buy on Amazon.com: Torment (Fallen, Book 2)