Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Book #71: Fallen

Title: Fallen

Author: Lauren Kate

Date started reading: May 15, 2012
Date finished reading:  May 17, 2012

Publish date: December 2009
ISBN: 978-0385738934
Number of pages: 464

Official summary: "There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori. Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move. Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce -- and goes out of his way to make that very clear -- she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret ... even if it kills her. Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story. (http://www.randomhouse.com/teens/fallen/books.php)

Official book trailers:



How I obtained the book: Bought for $1 at Friends of the Library charity book sale

Memorable quotes:
  • "People are here because they've got baggage. I'm talking curbside-check-in, pay-the-fine-'cause-it's-over-fifty-pounds kind of baggage." ~ Arriane
  • "People who are chronically tardy never understand the many ways in which they screw up the schedules of people who are punctual and normal." ~ Penn 
  • "The only way to survive eternity is to be able to appreciate each moment." ~ Daniel
  • "Trust is a careless pursuit at best. At worst, it's a good way to get yourself killed." ~ Miss Sophia
  • "I should like to have a word with whoever thought putting the fate of all our eternal souls in the hands of one lovesick pair of infants was so brilliant an idea." ~ Miss Sophia
  • "You're the human equivalent of a migraine." ~ Miss Sophia to Luce
  • "You know everyone loves to hate a happy pair of lovebirds." ~ Arriane

Pre-reading commentary: I always try not to get my hopes up too high before starting a new book (especially a new book series), but my hopes are extremely high for this series. I fell in love with this book the second I saw it back in 2009 because of the cover, and every book after it has had a cover I love too. I love photo manipulations like this. In fact, I joined deviantART primarily to seek out artists who do this kind of artwork. Also, I've heard so many people say good things about the series that I can't help but hope for an amazing journey through "Fallen" world. I really pray I'm not disappointed. 

Post-reading commentary:
  • I was totally hooked on the book half way through the first chapter. I didn't want to put it down.
  • I feel like I'm a little hot-and-cold on the issue of love triangles. I often gripe about how so many books (and TV shows and movies too) feature love triangles. I'm getting sick of it overall, but then I come across a book like this with the Daniel/Luce/Cam triangle, and I'm all ooh-ing and awe-ing over it. I'm all picking sides in the triangle and going all googly over the guys. 
  • I also feel like I'm always going back and forth on the reincarnation subject too. Normally I mostly just roll my eyes at reincarnation, but then I read a book like this, and I love the idea. I guess it all just depends on the author's writing and the backstory. 

Buy on Amazon.com: Fallen

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds interesting... But a little like the house of night books.. Still going to havta check it out :)

    ReplyDelete