Monday, May 7, 2012

Book #68: Black Dawn

Title: Black Dawn (Book #12 of The Morganville Vampires series)

Author: Rachel Caine

Date started reading: May 7, 2012
Date finished reading:  May 9, 2012

Publish date: May 2012
ISBN: 978-0451236715
Number of pages: 384

Official summary: "Ever since the draug -- mysterious creatures that prey on vampires -- took over Morganville, the lives of Claire Danvers and her friends have been thrown into turmoil. Most of the residents have evacuated, but Claire, Shane, Eve, and Michael have chosen to stay and fight. By using the town's water system to spread, the draug have rapidly multiplied. Things in Morganville look grim, especially since vampire Amelie -- the town Founder -- has been infected by the master draug's bite. If Claire and her friends don't figure out how to cure Amelie and defeat the draug, it looks as though Morganville will become little more than a ghost town." (http://www.morganvilletexas.com)

Official book trailer:



How I obtained the book: Bought on its release date at Barnes & Noble. It's the first time in a long time that I paid the full list price of a book. Paid $19.47 total.

Memorable quotes:
  • "Even bipolar vampires needed sleep from time to time, and (Myrnin) was well past his recommended safe dosage of stress." ~ Claire
  • "Eve liked to live on the edge, but she wasn't exactly Buffy reincarnated. And in some ways her hard edges made her the most fragile of all of them." ~ Claire
  • "Sometimes growing up sucked." ~ Claire
  • "Myrnin being Claire's vampire boss -- if a relationship that crazy could be called employer-employee, anyway. She was Igor to his Frankenstein. ... Myrnin was walking chaos, and a lot of the time that was fun. Sometimes, not so much." 
  • "We're a tragedy waiting to happen." ~ Michael to Eve
  • "You've always been insane. Insane for your beliefs, insane for power, insane for blood. I suppose that may be what we require now. More insanity." ~ Theo
    "That may be the kindest thing you've ever said about me, Doctor." ~ Oliver
  • "There is nothing more frightening than a medical man willing to inflict pain." ~ Theo
  • "I'd rather be invisible than a walking snack-pack." ~ Eve
  • "Your curiosity is an addiction that will kill you one of these days." ~ Claire
  • "It was easy to love somebody when love was happy, but when it was hard, when it meant facing things you feared... that was different." ~ Claire
  • "An Aliens reference always makes me feel better at times like this. Except I'm not sure I"m the one who lives through the movie." ~ Eve
  • "There was a lot more to Myrnin than just the pleasantly crazy mayhem; underneath it, there was calculation, and a cold, still monster that he kept mostly caged." ~ Claire
  • "You are insane. You can't go around licking things that came out of a water treatment plan. That's just unsanitary." ~ Claire to Myrnin
  • "She liked science because it was neat. It followed rules. And it never broke her heart." ~ Claire
  •  "Solitary confinement with vampire supervision is really healthy. You know, exercise, good diet, self-improvement. It's like a spa, but with teeth." ~ Jason
  • "Oliver might have been nobly born, but he has the manners of a pig farmer." ~ Naomi
  • "Romantic love is an illusion, invented by poets and purchased by fools." ~ Naomi
  • "This cat-and-mouse game could end only one way: the cat's way. But the mice had a trick or two left yet, and even a cat could get hurt if the mice bit hard enough." ~ Claire
  • "My idea of research is looking at take-out menus." ~ Eve
  • "I wanted a day without a crisis. Just one." ~ Eve
  • "Death by research. That was not a glorious end." ~ Eve
  • "Never mind what the movies say -- girls don't get prettier when they cry." ~ Shane
  • "Real life isn't perfect. Perfect is boring." ~ Claire
  • "Politics was a game of murder, and always had been." ~ Oliver
  • "Getting married sounds crazy. I do crazy for a living." ~ Eve
  • "We are into the This Is A Bad Idea neighborhood, and heading down I Have A Bad Feeling Street." ~ Shane
  • "It hadn't been much of a fight, because it isn't a fight when your enemy just completely ignores you." ~ Shane
  • "Scars are the least of my problems." ~ Hannah

My commentary:
  • I intended on waiting a while to buy the book so I could get it cheaper, but I watched the trailer on May 1st and went straight out to buy it. The trailer made it sound so much like Shane was hurt or killed, and I couldn't wait to read it, since Shane's my favorite character.
  • Before starting to read this, I may have "accidentally" read some spoilers about what happens in the book. I say "accidentally" in the manner that someone "accidentally" gets pregnant by having unprotected sex while not on birth control. When you don't want to be spoiled on something, you don't go on tumblr and go through posts tagged with it. So when I looked at the "Morganville Vampires" tag, I knew I'd run into spoilers, so I can't really say I found them truly by accident. Anyways, I was both relieved and annoyed by what I found out. Most people seemed more annoyed and/or flat out pissed off, but I'm not quite in that anti-Rachel Caine mob right now. 
  • There was a chapter right in the middle of the book, which takes place right after the scene depicted in the video trailer, that confused the hell out of me. It took until the author flat out explained what was happening for it to actually dawn on me what had happened. In all honesty, I think she was trying to create the confusion, so either it was awesome writing or I'm just stupid enough to totally fall into a trap of confusion.
  • Two more good nicknames given for Myrnin by Shane: "Chatty Batty" and "Batty McCrackula." And one for Oliver: "Lord High Cranky."

Buy on Amazon.com: Black Dawn: The Morganville Vampires

No comments:

Post a Comment