Author: Lauren Kate
Date started reading: May 20, 2012
Date finished reading: May 21, 2012
Publish date: January 2012
Number of pages: 256
Official summary: "What makes your heart race a little faster? It's FALLEN IN LOVE, four wholly original new stories collected in a new novel set in the Middle Ages by Lauren Kate. FALLEN IN LOVE gives fans the much-talked about but never-revealed stories of FALLEN characters as they intertwine with the epic love story of Luce and Daniel. The stories include: Love Where You Least Expect It: The Valentine of Shelby and Miles , Love Lessons: The Valentine of Roland; Burning Love: The Valentine of Arriane; and Endless Love: The Valentine of Daniel and Lucinda." (http://www.randomhouse.com/teens/fallen/books.php)
Official book trailer:
How I obtained the book: Bought for $6.79 at used book store
- "If someone loved me enough to dive through multiple millennia just to find me, I'd get over myself." ~ Shelby
- "Traveling with him was like carrying around an encyclopedia." ~ Shelby about Miles
- "Maybe there is such a thing as true love." ~ Miles
- "(Roland) had always had a knack with animals, especially horses. Animals could hear the music in his voice more clearly than humans. Roland could whisper a few words to a startled filly and calm her like sunshine after a tornado."
- "Mortals could rarely recognize their true feelings before those true feelings hit them in the face." ~ Roland
- "Daniel and Lucinda were emblems of romance, ideals that every mortal and some immortals needed to believe in, whether or not they themselves were capable of making a connection so true. Daniel and Lucinda were an idea that informed the way the rest of the world fell in love." ~ Roland
- "Love means not being afraid to let yourself go, trusting that I will desire everything you have to offer." ~ Rosaline to Roland
- "Love is impossible. Get out and save yourself the heartache." ~ Cam to Roland
- "Forever wasn't possible between a woman and a fallen angel." ~ Cam
- "Solitude was one thing, but it warped into ugly, wretched loneliness after the soul had tasted love." ~ Roland
- "Love is hell." ~ Arriane
- "Sometimes love was not about winning, but about wise sacrifice and the reliability of friends like Arriane. Friendship, Roland realized, was its very own kind of love."
- "I'm tired of fairy tales." ~ Tess
- "Good. Evil. They're just words." ~ Tess to Arriane
- "Maybe Tess was right: When one lover suffered from a broken heart, no matter how badly the other wanted to help, she couldn't be the one to heal it." ~ Arriane
- "As far as possible, Arriane realized, each soul had to be content alone before plunging into love, because one never knew when the other would move out of that love. It was the greatest paradox: Souls need each other, but they also need to not need each other."
My commentary: These stories were really interesting. The first one (about Miles and Shelby) was so cute. I wouldn't have thought about Miles and Shelby as a couple, but they were really cute. The second one (about Roland) was sad. Third was about Arriane and totally heart-breaking. It made me want to cry so hard. Somehow when Arriane was first introduced in the first book, I thought she was a lesbian, but it still came as a shock when this story confirmed it. A lesbian angel... I don't have any issues with it, but it just seems odd overall. The last story (about Luce and Daniel) was both happy and sad.
Buy on Amazon.com: Fallen in Love: A Fallen Novel in Stories