Saturday, March 3, 2012

Book #29: Chosen

Title: Chosen (Book #3 of the "House of Night" series)

Author: P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

Date started reading: March 3, 2012
Date finished reading: March 4, 2012

Publish date: March 2008
ISBN: 978-0312360306
Number of pages: 320

Official summary: "Dark forces are at work at the House of Night and Zoey Redbird’s adventures at the school take a mysterious turn. Her best friend, Stevie Rae, is undead and struggling to maintain a grip on her humanity. Zoey finds herself in the very unexpected and rare situation of having three boyfriends. Mix a little bloodlust into the equation and the situation has the potential to spell social disaster. Just when it seems things couldn’t get any tougher, vampyres start turning up dead. Really dead. It looks like the People of Faith are tired of living side-by-side with vampyres. But, as Zoey and her friends so often find out, how things appear rarely affects the truth…" (http://www.houseofnightseries.com)

How I obtained the book: Received through the Paperback Swap book club. (I had to pay to mail a book to another member in order to receive a credit to request this book)

Memorable quotes:
  • "That man is such a damn turd monkey." ~ Zoey's grandmother talking about Zoey's stepfather (I want to call someone a turd monkey now)
  • "Lies don't fix things. They don't even make things easier, at least not in the long run. Best to tell the truth and then clean up an honest mess." ~ Zoey's grandmother 
  • "I'm in the middle of some deep poo. The negatives in my life totally outweigh the positives, and you know what's weird? I'm starting to actually get used to it." ~ Zoey

My commentary:
  • *Spoiler alert* ---- I know I said with the last book that I found it interesting that Zoey was torn between three different guys, instead of the typical love triangle, but with this book, it has become clear that Zoey really isn't a good role model for teenagers due to her love life.  I do think authors of books aimed at teenagers have some sort of responsibility to provide positive role models, so having Zoey dating two teenage boys then going off and losing her virginity to an adult who is a teacher at her school just isn't responsible. It's one thing for her to crush on (and even flirt with) a teacher, but to have sex with him? That's just messed up for many reasons Plus, there was no mention of condoms or birth control before she sleeps with him (yes I know, vampires shouldn't necessarily need condoms or birth control, but I really think the responsible thing would've been to somehow mention them). I just don't get why everything in society today has to center on sex. I know "sex sells" and all, but it doesn't sell with me
  • As much as this book series annoys me, it's also entertaining me... so far. I see a lot of negative things about the books, but I'm also weirdly intrigued. This book was as entrancing as it was bothersome

Buy on Amazon.com: Chosen (House of Night, Book 3)


No comments:

Post a Comment