Sunday, March 11, 2012

Book #35: Destined

Title: Destined (Book #9 of the "House of Night" series)

Author: P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

Date started reading: March 11, 2012
Date finished reading: March 13, 2012

Publish date: October 2011
ISBN: 978-0312650254
Number of pages: 336

Official summary: "In Destined, the forces of Light and Dark collide as their epic struggle focuses on Tulsa’s House of Night. Zoey is home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side – and preparing to face off against Neferet. Kalona has released his hold on Rephaim, and, through Nyx’s gift of a human form, he and Stevie Rae are finally able to be together – if Rephaim can truly walk the path of the Goddess and stay free of his father’s shadow. But is Zoey really safe? Does she truly know those who are closest to her? And will love win when it is tested by the very soul of Darkness?" (http://www.houseofnightseries.com)

Official book "trailer:"



How I obtained the book: Checked out of library (I will however be buying a copy of my own at some point once I can find a cheap copy) 
  • UPDATE: Ended up buying a copy for $8.54 at used book store on March 29   

Memorable quotes:
  • "My mama always said eight hours of sleep, drinking lots of water, and not havin' any kids was a better anti-aging recipe than anything a doctor or L'Oreal could ever cook up." ~ Stevie Rae
  • "You're not just covered with awesomesauce. You're what awesomesauce is made of." ~ Stark to Zoey
  • "I'm beginning to understand that there is only one real difference between Darkness and Light, and that is the capacity to love." ~ Rephaim
  • "That sounded like I thought the nerd herd and I were turning into a redneck Okie paramilitary group. ... Why couldn't those groups be more attractive?" ~ Zoey
  • "Kalona + a new and improved Rephaim = track wreck." ~ Zoey
  • "I read in People magazine that negativity gives you wrinkles. You may wanna consider your attitude when you look in the mirror 'cause I do know you love some mirror time." ~ Kramisha to Aphrodite 
  • "Over more than one hundred years the one consistent thing I have found is that there really is no normal when it comes to women." ~ Dragon to Aurox
  • "If I didn't have my horses I think I would get very tired of living." ~ Lenobia
  • "That's how Darkness works. It turns love into something bad." ~ Stark
  • "There are worse things than death. Being trapped by your fear of it is one of those things." ~ Rephaim
  • "We each decide what we are by the life choices we make. How we were made, who our parents are, where we are from, the color of our skin, who we choose to love, all those things do not define us. Our actions define us, and will keep defining us even after death." ~ Thanatos

My commentary:
  • This book is more confusing than the others because it switches the point of view that it's told through so many times. There are 11 different people's who take over the point of view in this book. Sometimes I have trouble remembering whose perspective I'm reading
  • One thing I find intriguing about this book series is that each book ends with some closure to the current storyline but then everything is blown apart by the last page. It's like things seem ok, but then one line says that the war is just beginning or something. It keeps you craving more, which in the case of this book kind of sucks because the next book doesn't come out until October

Buy on Amazon.com: Destined (House of Night)


No comments:

Post a Comment