Thursday, March 8, 2012

Book #33: Burned

Title: Burned (Book #7 of the "House of Night" series)

Author: P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

Date started reading: March 08, 2012
Date finished reading:  March 10, 2012

Publish date: April 2010
ISBN: 978-0312606169
Number of pages: 323

Official summary: "Things have turned black at the House of Night. Zoey Redbird’s soul has shattered. With everything she’s ever stood for falling apart, and a broken heart making her want to stay in the Otherworld forever, Zoey’s fading fast. It’s seeming more and more doubtful that she will be able pull herself back together in time to rejoin her friends and set the world to rights. As the only living person who can reach her, Stark must find a way to get to her. But how? He will have to die to do so, the Vampire High Council stipulates. And then Zoey will give up for sure. There are only 7 days left.. Enter BFF Stevie Rae. She wants to help Z but she has massive problems of her own. The rogue Red Fledglings are acting up, and this time not even Stevie Rae can protect them from the consequences. Her kinda boyfriend, Dallas, is sweet but too nosy for his own good. The truth is, Stevie Rae’s hiding a secret that might be the key to getting Zoey home but also threatens to explode her whole world. In the middle of the whole mess is Aphrodite: ex-Fledgling, human, trust-fund baby, total hag from Hell (and proud of it). She’s always been blessed (if you could call it that) with visions that can reveal the future, but now it seems Nyx has decided to speak through her with the goddess’s own voice, whether she wants it or not. Aphrodite’s loyalty can swing a lot of different ways, but right now Zoey’s fate hangs in the balance. Three girls... playing with fire… if they don’t watch out, everyone will get Burned. (http://www.houseofnightseries.com)

Official book "trailer:"


How I obtained the book: Received through the Paperback Swap book club. (I had to pay to mail a book to another member in order to receive a credit to request this book)

Memorable quotes:
  •  "She'd almost burned up on that rooftop. For a second she remembered the excellent season two 'True Blood' episode where Goderick had burned his own self up on a fictional roof. Stevie Rae snorted a laugh. 'It looked way easier on TV.'"
  • "If its ass is feathered and waterproofed, it's a duck" ~ Aphrodite 
  • "Did ya see how high-waisted his pants were? No one under the age of eighty with a big brain wears grandpa pants pulled all the way to their underarms. Pea brain, I'm just sayin'." ~ Stevie Rae to Rephaim about security guard
  • "Zoey isn't dead. And believe me, I know dead. I've been there, done that, and got the frickin' T-shirt." ~ Stevie Rae
  • "To be allied with Death is not an easy career path." ~ Thanatos
  • "That's an ignorant stereotype. Just 'cause I'm not from a big city does not mean I automatically know about cows and stuff. Heck, I don't even like horses." ~ Stevie Rae to Aphrodite
  • "Sometimes he almost like Aphrodite -- not that he'd ever admit it." ~ Stark
  • "Celebrity Barbies would only be important if they had interesting accoutrements you could buy with them. ~ Aphrodite ... "You sound like you swallowed a French guy and are trying to spit him out. ~ Erin
  • "That immortal blood of yours is like the Energizer Bunny inside me." ~ Stevie Rae to Rephaim
  • "Venus, you need a lot more than a gold card to fix the mess you've turned into." ~ Stevie Rae
  • "You do use your words like a dagger, and a drawn dagger often causes trouble." ~ Darius to Aphrodite
  • "As Stevie Rae would have said, Kalona was as wrong as manboobs" ~ Zoey


My commentary:
  • When I was looking at this book on Amazon, I cracked up at this part of one of the reviews: "These books are like Twinkies. They're really terrible, yet are a sometimes delicious guilty pleasure. I hate myself a little more after every one I buy, yet I can't seem to stop myself either." ... That totally explains how I feel about the books in a way much better than I could ever put into my own words
  • One thing I've forgotten to mention that I like about this series is how some of the editions of the books in hardcover include posters on the back of the book jackets.  I've noticed that not all the editions have them, but many do. It explains why many of the hardcover books are missing their jackets when I see them in the local used bookstores. If I was teenager reading the books, I'm sure I'd be putting the posters up on the walls of my bedroom. It's always fun when publishers add in some sort of surprise for readers like that. (You can see what I mean below. The first image is the poster from "Burned," and the second is showing the one that was wrapped around "Tempted")







Buy on Amazon.com: Burned: A House of Night Novel


No comments:

Post a Comment