Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Date started reading: April 01, 2012
Date finished reading: April 02, 2012
Publish date: May 2007
Number of pages: 336
Official summary: "Schuyler Van Alen wants an explanation for the mysterious deaths of young Blue Bloods. Her search brings her to Venice, Italy, in the hopes of finding the one person who can help. Meanwhile, back in New York, preparations are feverishly underway for the famous Four Hundred Ball, an exclusive gala hosted by the city’s wealthy, powerful, and unhuman — a true Blue Blood affair. But it’s at the after-party masquerade that the true danger lurks. Hidden behind the masks is a revelation that will change the course of a young vampire’s destiny." (http://melissa-delacruz.com)
How I obtained the book: Bought for $2.99 at thrift store
- "I'm your human Conduit. I'm supposed to help you navigate the human world. I didn't realize that would mean being your travel agent." ~ Oliver to Schuyler
- "The minute (Kingsley Martin) had appeared, it was as if a wildfire had spread among the girls. Within a week, his accomplishments were legendary. Already, he had been tapped to start on the school's lacrosse, soccer, and crew teams. Just as impressive, he was an academic sharpshooter. ... It didn't hurt that he was what the girls called a knee-trembler. He was devastatingly handsome. The kind of handsome that combined Hollywood glamour with dapper European sophistication and a trace of mischief. The new boy looked fun."
- "The Blue Bloods were supposed to bring peace and beauty and light to the world, not use their superior powers to dominate and rule."
- "Blue Bloods must understand their place in the world before we can attempt to change it." ~ Lawrence to Schuyler
- "A mind is like a puzzle; you must unlock it to read its hidden secrets." ~ Lawrence to Schuyler
- "Kingsley represented everything Mimi admired in a vampire -- the desire to use power. ... Why not use their strength to dominate humans? What good was reading someone's mind if you couldn't use it for material or emotional gain?"
- "It was apparent that to him, a dark and dangerous old spell was equal to driving a Ferrari at two hundred and fifty miles an hour: probably not a good idea, but one that had to be undertaken just to say you had done it." ~ Mimi about Kingsley
- "There were no secrets from a vampire with extrasensitive hearing."
- "Your grandmother always said never to trust shiny surfaces. They hide a multitude of flaws." ~ Lawrence to Schuyler
- "(Bliss) was certain Mimi would come to no harm. It was just too easy to imagine a life without Mimi Force's dictatorial ways, and there was no way the universe would be so kind as to get rid of her."
My commentary: The vampire mythology behind this series is totally crazy, but very addictive. I'm not even annoyed at the concept of past lives and reincarnation, which normally annoys the hell out of me. The cliffhanger in this book was rather shocking
Buy on Amazon.com: Masquerade (Blue Bloods, Book 2)