Friday, April 20, 2012

Book #59: Feast of Fools

Title: Feast of Fools (Book #4 of The Morganville Vampire series, second book in the second omnibus edition)

Author: Rachel Caine

Date started reading: April 20, 2012
Date finished reading:  April 21, 2012

Publish date: Originally June 2008 (omnibus edition published in September 2010)
ISBN: 978-0451232892
Number of pages: 217 in this book, 464 total in the full omnibus edition

Official summary: "Claire Danvers' college town may be run by vampires but a truce between the living and the dead made things relatively safe. For a while. Now people are turning up dead, a psycho is stalking her, and an ancient bloodsucker has proposed private mentoring. To what end, Claire will find out. And it's giving night school a whole new meaning." (http://www.morganvilletexas.com)

How I obtained the book: Bought for $4.24 at used book store (it was a publisher's remainder, so it wasn't really a used book)

Memorable quotes:
  •  "Just when she thinks things can't get any worse... they have. Amelie's vampire father has come to town, and he's not happy. When Daddy's not happy... nobody's happy." ~ Claire
  • "It was hard to imagine how Claire's day -- even by Morganville standards -- could get any worse ... and then the vampires holding her hostage wanted breakfast."
  • "Look, if they were going to kill us, I don't think they'd ask for eggs first. Not to mention biscuits. If you ask for biscuits, clearly, you think you're some kind of a guest." ~ Shane
  • "I like my ladies with a pulse." ~ Shane
  • "I think if the house had teeth, it'd be chomping down right now." ~ Eve
  • "Morganville looked just like any other dusty, sleepy town in the daylight. ... The casual visitor never knew, at least during the daytime, that this place was so vastly screwed up." ~ Claire
  • "This is Morganville -- we invented the concept of the secret around here." ~ Dr. Mills
  • "That boy can make a paper cut seem like a mortal wound." ~ Eve about Shane
  • "That was basically what friends were for ... to be there to keep you from doing the crazy." ~ Claire
  • "I may be a bitch, but I'm not your property." ~ Claire to Myrnin
  • "My dark side dresses better than I do." ~ Myrnin
  • "Amelie and I are modern predators, tigers in the jungle. Bishop is from a far colder, harder time. A Tyrannosaurus rex, if you will." ~ Myrnin
  • "I'm not letting any vamp eat me, not even by remote control." ~ Shane
  • "When you were more theatrical than Eve, you definitely had issues." ~ Claire
  • "You have to learn to schedule your epiphanies." ~ Claire to Myrnin
  • "(Claire) was on nodding terms with scary bodyguard dudes. Great. She really was moving up in the social ladder of Morganville."
  • "I'm going to kill him. Stake him right in the heart shove garlic up his ass, and -- and --" ~ Eve
    "And what?" ~ Michael
    "When did you get home?" ~ Claire
    "Apparently just in time to hear my funeral plans. I especially like the garlic up the ass. It's ... different." ~ Michael
  • "There was one comforting thing about the theory of complete apocalypse: at least it meant she wouldn't have to fail any classes." ~ Claire
  • "I'm a science nerd, not a cheerleader." ~ Claire 
  • "The Glass House was on what Claire had come to think of as the Impossible Travel Network." 
  • "Breathe. I'm not much for it myself, but I hear it's quite good for humans." ~ Myrnin to Claire

My commentary:
  • This book starts out with a situation that is so hilarious, but scary at the same time -- Claire, her roommates, and her (very clueless) parents being trapped in the house with Bishop who may be the most evil and oldest vampire in the world and some of his followers. The mere idea of how absurd that situation would be is awesome.
  • I said with the previous book that I was extremely impressed with the author's ability to write cliffhangers, but that was only the tip of the iceberg because this book's cliffhanger blew the last out of the water. So many emotions. This is basically my train of thought immediately after reading the last sentence of the book: "NOOOOOOO ... You bitch!!!! God, she didn’t do that ... Oh God, she did do it ... I hate you, Amelie ... You can’t do that to Shane. I love Shane ... I want to hunt you down, Rachel Caine, and punch you in the face for writing that ... I hate you, Rachel ... *uncontrollable laughter* ... Rachel, you deserve a reward for that ending ... I love these books!"

Buy on Amazon.com: The Morganville Vampires, Vol. 2 (Midnight Alley / Feast of Fools)

No comments:

Post a Comment