Saturday, April 14, 2012

Book #56: Glass Houses

Title: Glasses Houses (Book #1 of The Morganville Vampires series, first book in the first volume omnibus)

Author: Rachel Caine

Date started reading: April 15, 2012
Date finished reading:  April 17, 2012

Publish date: Originally October 2006 (omnibus published November 2009)
ISBN: 978-0451230546
Number of pages: 222 in this book, 480 in full omnibus edition

Official summary: "Morganville is a small college town filled with quirky characters. But when the sun goes down, the bad comes out. Because in Morganville, there is an evil that lurks in the darkest shadows, one that will spill out into the bright light of day. College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood." (http://www.morganvilletexas.com)

Official series "trailer:"


How I obtained the book: Received through the Paperback Swap book club. (I had to pay to mail a book to another member in order to receive a credit to request this book)

Memorable quotes:
  • "Nothing like a little virtual violence to make you feel better." ~ Shane to Claire
  • "Shane sat like a statue, if a statue wore headphones and radiated angry coiled tension that made hair stand up on a person's arms. She felt like she was sitting next to an unexploded bomb, and given all the physics she'd had, she understood exactly what that meant. Talk about potential energy..." ~ Claire
  • "Making deals with the vampires in this town will keep you alive on the outside, but it eats you on the inside." ~ Michael
  • "Most of the vamps don't mingle with the little people. Kind of like the Hiltons don't shop at Wal-Mart." ~ Eve
  • "You’re kidding. I thought all geniuses read Latin. Isn’t that the international language for smart people?" ~ Shane to Claire
  • "Run first. Mourn later." ~ Shane
    "It was the perfect motto for Morganville." ~ Claire

My commentary: I normally try to keep my expectations low when I start a new book, especially one that is the first in a series. But this time, I must admit, I did get my expectations way up. I had read so many positive comments about this series that my expectations went through the roof. I also expected to have my high expectations dashed leaving me disappointed. But I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. It was a perfect intro into the series. I loved everything about this book

Buy on Amazon.com: The Morganville Vampires, Vol. 1 (Glass Houses / The Dead Girls' Dance)

No comments:

Post a Comment