Author: Rachel Caine
Date started reading: April 23, 2012
Date finished reading: April 24, 2012
Publish date: June 2009
Number of pages: 256
Official summary: "In the small college town of Morganville, vampires and humans lived in (relative) peace-until all the rules got rewritten when the evil vampire Bishop arrived, looking for the lost book of vampire secrets. He's kept a death grip on the town ever since. Now an underground resistance is brewing, and in order to contain it, Bishop must go to even greater lengths. He vows to obliterate the town and all its inhabitants-the living and the undead. Claire Danvers and her friends are the only ones who stand in his way. But even if they defeat Bishop, will the vampires ever be content to go back to the old rules, after having such a taste of power?" (http://www.morganvilletexas.com)
How I obtained the book: Bought for $2.96 at used book store
- Tagline on the cover: "They never covered this in biology."
- "What was the use of being a main evil minion if you couldn't even enjoy it -- or save your own friends?" ~ Claire
- "Being in love with any boy in this town in dangerous. Being in love with that boy is suicidal." ~ Claire's dad about Shane
- "For people who lived here, the real residents, Morganville was a prison camp, and they were all inmates." ~ Claire
- "Morganville didn't look all that different now from when Claire had first come to town, and she found that really, really odd. After all, when the evil overlords took over, you'd think it would have made some kind of visible difference, at least."
- "It felt weird, being the person other people were scared to see coming." ~ Claire
- "It was one thing to be forced to be the devil's foot soldier. It was another thing to choose to do it." ~ Claire
- "I hate kissing you through prison bars. I'm all for restraint, but self-restraint is so much more fun." ~ Shane to Claire
- "Secrets are best kept cold." ~ Myrnin
- "There is no drama so great as that of a teenage girl." ~ Myrnin
- "Life is pain, child." ~ Myrnin to Claire
- "Claire had seen a lot of weird stuff since moving to Morganville, but a living, steam-operated Frankenstein of a computer, built out of wood and scraps? That was just too much."
- "Morganville: Come for the education, stay for the terrifying drama." ~ Claire
- "What you know about vampires could fit into a mosquito's ass. All you know is what you grew up seeing on TV." ~ Eve to Dean
- "That, Claire thought, was a pretty good definition of love: needing someone even after you got what you thought you wanted."
- "Even in Morganville, making people stick to rules -- whatever the rules were -- was like herding cats." ~ Claire
- "Myrnin's computer was such a bitch." ~ Claire
- "Drinking blood doesn't make me a lie detector." ~ Michael
- I'm very glad that the mystery of who kept killing teenage girls was solved at the end of this book. I wasn't too surprised really by who it turned out to be, but that's ok. That storyline needed to be wrapped up.
- This book was the first to end without a real cliffhanger. There were a few things left up in the air, but no new storylines were blown open by the ending, as the past books had done.
- Ada (Mynin's computer) is such an odd character. It's almost too strange to be believable for me, but I liked the idea enough to accept that the spirit of a vampire could've been put into a computer and could be used to run the entire town through magical means. It provides some creepy factors to the series because I've always wondered what would happen if computers decided to turn on humans and try to take over the world, and Ada definitely could do that.
Buy on Amazon.com: Carpe Corpus (Morganville Vampires, Book 6)