Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Date started reading: April 06, 2012
Date finished reading: April 07, 2012
Publish date: September 2011
Number of pages: 352
Official summary: "The stakes have never been higher for the young Blue Bloods of Manhattan. After their brief yet beautiful bonding ceremony in Italy, Schuyler Van Alen and Jack Force depart for Egypt, desperate to find the elusive Gate of Promise before Jack must face his twin, Mimi, for a blood trial. A blood trial that only one of them can survive. But everything Schuyler thought she knew about the gate turns out to be a lie, and they soon find themselves ensnared in a deadly battle against the demon-born. Schuyler and Jack take up arms, only to realize that there is a much graver threat simmering in the Kingdom of the Dead. Meanwhile, determined to save the only vampire she still loves, Mimi has followed Kingsley Martin into Hell. With the help of her new human Conduit, Oliver Hazard-Perry, Mimi makes a bargain with the Queen of the Dead that she may soon regret. When the time comes to choose between love and revenge, both Mimi and Oliver will learn the true meaning of sacrifice. Confronted by danger, betrayal, and loss at every turn, the Blue Bloods must find the will to fight — and love — another day." (http://melissa-delacruz.com)
Official book trailer:
How I obtained the book: Checked out of library, but I'll be buying a copy at some point
- "(Schuyler's) fate -- and perhaps the fate of all vampires -- was in (Jack's) hands. She had made her case, she had fought for him, and it was his turn now to fight for her. Jack Force had a dark destiny before him, but Schuyler Van Alen hoped -- she prayed -- she believed -- that together they could change it."
- "It's not every day I get to visit Hell. Do I get a souvenir?" ~ Oliver
- "The worst thing about having money is that I don't get to be a starving artist." ~ Ben
- "Sometimes it was better to keep Pandora's box closed." ~ Allegra
- "(Mimi) thought of how she had laughed at girls who thought just because a guy slept with them it meant that he loved them. Now she was one of those needy, clingy girls. How ridiculous to find that her heart was so much more vulnerable than she had ever imagined it could be. How the hell had she allowed herself to fall in love with someone like Kingsley Martin? It was infuriating. He was like a shooting star you tried to catch with your hands. She would only get burned."
- "One of the great benefits of being so privileged was their ability to keep the beautiful things int he world they loved from going extinct and disappearing forever." ~ Allegra about Ben's parents
- "When there is nothing but sinful indulgence, sinful indulgence becomes a chore." ~ Oliver about Hell
- "All fairy tales end at some point."
- "No one was above the Code of the Vampires." ~ Kingsley
- "(Ben) was like the sun while (Allegra) was a meteor, debris, a falling star."
- "Maybe this was what love meant after all: sacrifice and selflessness. It did not meant hearts and flowers and a happy ending, but the knowledge that another's well-being is more important than one's own. It was so awful to grow up and realize you couldn't have everything you wanted." ~ Mimi
- "(Mimi) had come to Hell chasing a dream, and now it was time to wake up."
- "She did not know sometimes what she loved anymore: the man or the myth." ~ Allegra about Charles
- "Love was a drug, a physical addiction." ~ Mimi
- The first thing that really strikes me about this book is how utterly beautiful its cover is. This series has had some awesome covers, but this one is so gorgeous. The shade of lipstick and that single black feather somehow just make it so perfect
- The last book and novella before this book both had each character's story separated and the reader didn't have to jump back and forth between stories. The author went back to the bouncing back and forth between stories in this book. In some ways I liked it because it did speed things up compared to when the stories are separated, but in this case, it was somewhat confusing. The three main storylines are 1) Schuyler and Jack, 2) Mimi, Oliver, and Kingsley, and 3) Allegra, Charles, and Ben. The first two are in present day, and the third is 20 years ago. It was hard going back in forth between today and 20 years ago.
- The last several chapters of the book made me an emotional wreck. It was a total emotional roller coaster. I kept going from sad to angry to happy and back to sad. I even teared up a little. If it had been a TV show or movie giving me a visual, I'm sure I would've been flat out crying my eyes out. I don't want to wait until January for the next book (and final one) to be released
Buy on Amazon.com: Lost In Time (A Blue Bloods Novel)